Admin: Grades Export w/ Multiple Grading Periods

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I was asked to post this as a 'Feature Request' by a Canvas Technical Support Engineer, so here it goes:

... The Admin level (account level) report for Grade Export uses a Filter that is Term-based (by default).  That is excellent when one does not use "Multiple Grading Periods" (most colleges), but very difficult and mostly not useful if one does (high schools and lower).  The trouble is due to it not allowing the report to capture the grading window (grading period).  It would need an expanded filter to allow a selection of the grading period.  At our High School we have setup Multiple Grading Periods at the Account Level (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4), so all Teachers inherit the default grading periods and single grading scheme.  The solution would be a multi-value lookup pair for the report dropdown (allowing me to choose the Term, then the Grading period).

The benefit to folks who support the LMS would be an export with assignments based on the date ranges of the Grading Period (If I chose Q2, I get Q2, not the whole Term, etc...).  Aside from the Organizational Data by Grading Period benefit, we would also be able to get Grading Period Level Totals by Class/Quarter for an SMS import  (using Secondary SIS ID and Total Points columns from the export).

Please consider this, it is a NATURAL next step Report Feature for your Multiple Grading Periods

Thank you

Comments from Instructure

The first phase of Multiple Grading Periods reports have now been released to productionCanvas Production Release Notes (2015-11-21)

A second phase of reports was released to production Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-06)

47 Comments
ngee
Community Novice

I have noticed that with graded discussions, they do not appear on the student calendar at all if they are given “available from-available to” dates. So, students are not reminded of this assignment in the same place that they see all their other assignments—the calendar.

So, to kill two birds with one stone, I recommend that the “Available To” date become the effective “Due Date.” I’m not sure how hard that would be for the coding team, but wouldn’t that mean that the assignment would at least register on the calendar and also appear in the gradebook tern that the due date lands?

Nathaniel Gee

wgargaro
Community Novice

PLEASE make this happen.  This is a necessity for my school.  Seems pretty usual for a K12 school.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Deactivated user​ provided a great update on Multiple grading periods & grade export - incomplete?

Please check it out and "follow" the conversation!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Deactivated user​ posted a great update to Multiple grading periods & grade export - incomplete?

Please check it out & "follow" it.

*It was not posted to this idea thread because the original idea is focused on admin exports/reports.

jjordan1
Community Contributor

I see in the Beta release notes that there is now a Filter for Sections of a course in the Quiz module.  I have attached a screenshot of it in action.

This code is what is needed in the Teacher's Gradebook Export (along with a 2nd Filter on the Grading Period visible).

At the account level, the gradebook export that gives us Term + Grading Period exports is what my request was about, but at the Course level (Teacher View), this same logic would be invaluable (Grading Period + Section filters).

XCP_Quiz_Stats_Sections_Filter_102115.png

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@jjordan1 ​ and All!

Thank you to everyone that has been contributing to this thread!  The Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-11-09) announces the release of the first phase of reports for Grading Periods - focused on the Instructor.  Conversation is continuing at Multiple grading periods & grade export - incomplete?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The first phase of Multiple Grading Periods reports have now been released to productionCanvas Production Release Notes (2015-11-21)

jvincent
Community Participant

Hi Renee,

Does  next phase involve adding  grading period data to the admin grade report?  My school really needs a way to see this info at an admin level (all students) so that administrators and guidance counselors can find students who are struggling without manually going through each course individually. 

I know this request is technically still being voted on, but is this functionality anywhere near potential development?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for your question.

In Multiple grading periods & grade export - incomplete? Deactivated user​ provided the following information

We are currently working on adding the ability to export whichever grading period you currently have loaded in the browser. I expect this addition to be released in one of our next two releases and will update you all as soon as we know when it will definitively be released.

We're starting with the Teacher level. I'm working on figuring out how to get the admin level reports updated as it's not something normally under our per view.

I'll see if we can get a new update on MGP reports.

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Deactivated user​ is currently working on adding MGP to the admin report.