Admin: Grades Export w/ Multiple Grading Periods

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I was asked to post this as a 'Feature Request' by a Canvas Technical Support Engineer, so here it goes:

... The Admin level (account level) report for Grade Export uses a Filter that is Term-based (by default).  That is excellent when one does not use "Multiple Grading Periods" (most colleges), but very difficult and mostly not useful if one does (high schools and lower).  The trouble is due to it not allowing the report to capture the grading window (grading period).  It would need an expanded filter to allow a selection of the grading period.  At our High School we have setup Multiple Grading Periods at the Account Level (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4), so all Teachers inherit the default grading periods and single grading scheme.  The solution would be a multi-value lookup pair for the report dropdown (allowing me to choose the Term, then the Grading period).

The benefit to folks who support the LMS would be an export with assignments based on the date ranges of the Grading Period (If I chose Q2, I get Q2, not the whole Term, etc...).  Aside from the Organizational Data by Grading Period benefit, we would also be able to get Grading Period Level Totals by Class/Quarter for an SMS import  (using Secondary SIS ID and Total Points columns from the export).

Please consider this, it is a NATURAL next step Report Feature for your Multiple Grading Periods

Thank you

Comments from Instructure

The first phase of Multiple Grading Periods reports have now been released to productionCanvas Production Release Notes (2015-11-21)

A second phase of reports was released to production Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-06)

47 Comments
jschurrer
Community Novice

Does anyone know how to pull a grade export now on an individual gradebook showing just q2? Or is this the same issue as the admin export

Sent from my iPhone

corderg
Community Novice

It's the same issue. My CSM told me that there is an API call you can do. Enrollments - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

But we would need help with it.

jjordan1
Community Contributor

I posted this here:  Downloading the gradebook   I just did a quick export from within the gradebook of a current course, with Q2 - 1516 in our multiple grading periods dropdown, and I did not get Q2, I got a full dump.  It still appears to be consistent with what I was writing below....  (frustrating for sure)

... The gb export seems to pull all data from the gb regardless of grading periods (which is why is is now more use"less" versus useful if one elects multiple grading periods.  The term "Current" seems to be misleading as it represents the pull timestamp, not the grading period (if one uses multiple grading periods) or section selected.

Many of us multiple grading period users want that export to focus on the grading period selected and the section selected, but it doesn't yet.  It exports in bulk fashion/dumps all gb records and categories/groups irregardless of the sections in the course, it is all sections/students.  I looked at several of my staff courses who use multiple grading periods and they all dump 100% of whats in there....

kansalak
Community Explorer

Our district is facing same issue. I am not able to pull report for Quarter 1, it is still providing me final grade and current grade and teachers does not have the option to print Q 1 grade they can only see. Admin should be able to create a column in the gradebook where they can group all assignments pertaining to a particular grading period. This functionality was available in Blackboard gradebook. 

jjordan1
Community Contributor

On your last comment, you could consider the "assignments" group/category as Q1 (rename it Q1 Scores or such) and then you will get a Total for those in that group.  CAUTION, you drag into that group, but I learned if for any reason you ever deleted one of these groups (and it has assignments in it), it can take that assignment out.

There has always been this type of workaround to use, but haveing an assignment group as Q1 and another as Q2, etc..... leaves no room for any other groups and no group weighting (ex:  formatives, summatives, homework, etc...., but it would work

We just would need to look at the "Group Total" for the total points

kansalak
Community Explorer

Thanks Jason, I am talking from the district admin level, I have about 800 courses in the system so it is a huge task.

jjordan1
Community Contributor

At the Account level, we turned on the Feature, mult grading periods with "ON", and then set the grading periods, they all get it.  If you used "ALLOW", you create the grading period, but they have to enable it in their course settings.  To get a column in the gradebook to address Q1, there is no admin way to may it happen, each Teacher would have to use the total of 1 assignment group (relabeled maybe to Q1) for the Q1 Total.  When they get this fixed, the problem goes away for us all.  I am not sure if this is helpful, I hope I addressed what you mentioned.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Jason, You have been posting some great work here!  Thank you so much!

We want to be able to make some comments about "exporting multiple grading periods" however this idea is focused on admin reports.  Would you please post a new feature idea that is focused on the gradebook export from a course?  Thank you.

ngee
Community Novice

Yes we thought of this workaround, but it’s clumsy and eliminates the real purpose of assignment groups. I’m glad you warned me that deleting assignment groups might delete my assignments—YIKES! If I started playing around with it, that would have been a disaster; a lot of hard work down the drain!

Nathaniel Gee

ngee@randolphschool.net

Randolph Upper School

4915 Garth Road SE

Huntsville, AL 35802

Seeking Truth, Building Character, Nurturing All

jjordan1
Community Contributor

Bug Fix is in production as of last night.  All looks good for multiple grading periods now.  Huge thank you Coding team!! Smiley Happy   Exports are not there, but the bug fix for MGP is.

I did notice though that if an assignment has no due date is lands at the end in the last grading period (for us Q4).  Seems to be a default, so I am wondering if better to just not show an assignment/quiz/graded discussion with no due date (effectively hiding them from gradebook until a due date is assigned).  What do you think would be appropriate here?  A community vetting would be good.