Admin: Grades Export w/ Multiple Grading Periods

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I was asked to post this as a 'Feature Request' by a Canvas Technical Support Engineer, so here it goes:

... The Admin level (account level) report for Grade Export uses a Filter that is Term-based (by default).  That is excellent when one does not use "Multiple Grading Periods" (most colleges), but very difficult and mostly not useful if one does (high schools and lower).  The trouble is due to it not allowing the report to capture the grading window (grading period).  It would need an expanded filter to allow a selection of the grading period.  At our High School we have setup Multiple Grading Periods at the Account Level (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4), so all Teachers inherit the default grading periods and single grading scheme.  The solution would be a multi-value lookup pair for the report dropdown (allowing me to choose the Term, then the Grading period).

The benefit to folks who support the LMS would be an export with assignments based on the date ranges of the Grading Period (If I chose Q2, I get Q2, not the whole Term, etc...).  Aside from the Organizational Data by Grading Period benefit, we would also be able to get Grading Period Level Totals by Class/Quarter for an SMS import  (using Secondary SIS ID and Total Points columns from the export).

Please consider this, it is a NATURAL next step Report Feature for your Multiple Grading Periods

Thank you

Comments from Instructure

The first phase of Multiple Grading Periods reports have now been released to productionCanvas Production Release Notes (2015-11-21)

A second phase of reports was released to production Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-06)

47 Comments
mmadams
Community Novice

When I run the MGP report I get numerous instances of the same student grade for the same course/section.   In some cases as many as 30.   I assume I have something set wrong but have no idea what.

jjordan1
Community Contributor

Marvin, I ran our current School Year Term (most of our 1.0 full year course live here) and had same random duplicates that you had.  I zeroed in on one of my own daughters records and in one class she had 22 rows, while another had only 13, totally random.  I tried to figure some algorithm based on grading periods and/or assignment groups yet nothing was consistent.  We have 6 grading periods/year and this creates 18 columns (3/GP) in the dataset, however what seems to be missing is a SQL Distinct statement in the select query to provide "1 row per course".  It duplicates unpredictably and I am guessing each row is tied to each join, but then that even doesn't make sense when one course has 22 rows and the other has 13, etc....  I am going to file a bug report now.

jvincent
Community Participant

Hi everyone.  I've run in to this issue as well.  When I run the report, I get a file with over 130,000 rows and we should be getting around 2,400.  Mostly duplicate entries and alot of lines with student info and no grade data.  I've mediated the issue by using the "remove duplicates" in excel and then have set up some Google spreadsheets to deal with the remaining extra rows and filter the data from there so that our school can create our own custom grade reports.

I submitted a bug report about 2 weeks ago, with a sample report, but have not heard anything since my initial submission.

Hopefully, this issue is fixed soon.

Thanks!

jschurrer
Community Novice

Heard this from my CSM today:

"Ok no need to adjust the grading period. We currently have a Jira (bug) on our end. The fix has been finished, they are pushing it to beta on Monday and then if all goes well it would be pushed out in the next product release.

If you submit a ticket they can attach it to the bug and they will send you updates."

Sent from my iPhone

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @jjordan1  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @applem ​, eellis​, corderg​,  @ngee ​,  @ekeefe ​, QC99.tsilvius​,  @jschurrer ​,  @kansalak ​,  @wgargaro ​,  @jvincent ​,  @valentina_fearn ​,  @kona ​, jyeaman​, & ​ @mmadams   for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed