Admin Level Missing Assignment Report

0 Likes
(9)

I would like to suggest that Canvas build an admin level missing assignment report so school personnel can quickly populate missing data for a student across their entire schedule.  The current method to populate a student's missing work does not allow for the data to reach across multiple classes.

12 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

alberta_oldman
Community Member

For those teachers who have 100+ students, it would be convenient. 

pamg
Community Member

This would be great for Admin purposes as it would make it easier to get student grades and assignment completion numbers. 

sphinxdyer44
Community Novice

I am little unclear as to how this would be any different than what is generated through Canvas or Infinite Campus. Also, how is the generated by the teachers--by hand, through a report on IC or Canvas, or something else? If Canvas generates a report for us regarding which students have not turned in certain assignments, that would be great. But, if I have to go in, find and list each student who has not turned in each assignment, that adds a whole other level of administrative work for us as teachers. I am all for students being accountable and being accountable to parents more quickly because they are usually our greatest allies when students fail to turn assignments in. I guess that I am confused regarding the difference between Canvas and IC creating lists of missing assignments or "0"'s and a single or separate Administrative Level Missing Assignments' List. Is the problem now that Canvas does not tell IC to mark "missing" versus just a "0" for a grade?

tamidon
Community Explorer

As an administrator I would love to run a weekly missing assignment report for my entire middle school. I can run a report in RenWeb (our SIS) but I need to be able run the report in Canvas for a more accurate picture.

aparker219
Community Member

I am a special education teacher, so I have multiple students that are on my caseload.  I like the new analytics and reports for missing assignments, but unfortunately, I do not have the time to go under every one of my students' individual classes to find their missing assignments.  During hybrid and virtual learning, several of our students are falling significantly behind. Parents and students are struggling to keep track of which assignments need to be completed and submitted. If there was a way to click on a student's name in order to access a missing assignment report for all that student's classes, that would save a lot of time, stress, and frustration for students, families, and teachers.  

Please consider an easier way to access missing assignments reports per student not class.

Kevin-Reitman
Community Explorer

I would agree with the group here that a global report would be really helpful for our administration, counselors, and especially our students.\

I have found a workaround that has helped.  If you 'Act as' a specific student, you can then go into their Dashboard using 'List View' and click on the notification button.  That will show a list of all missing assignments, however, it doesn't copy and paste very well into a Document.

MelissaL1
Community Member

I agree.  The ability to generate a missing assignment report for an entire class and for a student in multiple courses would be very beneficial!  Two separate report options but both would be useful.  In addition, an option for parents to see a list of all missing assignments (or even all assignments) for their child that is enrolled in multiple courses would be helpful.  For example, in the parent account you could add an option under Grades > Courses > add a drop down option "All Courses".  That would give them the option to view all assignments at once. 

tamidon
Community Explorer

Has anyone figured out solution to this issue?

I have 200 middle school students and would like to run one report that lists all my students along with their missing assignments for each class.

I know RenWeb can make this happen but we don't sync with RenWeb anymore. We just enter our grades from Canvas into RenWeb at the end of the term.

BradMoser
Community Coach
Community Coach

I have to agree with you on this one. There are several reports available for admins to generate in their sub-account. But there is not one that produces a spreadsheet for a missing assignment report. Perhaps, because that can be quite a lengthy report. 

While you can generate a final grade report, and an Outcome score report. You cannot generate a missing assignment report. 

In our district, we've purchased Dropout Detective (aka. Grade Guardian by AspireEDU) which provides us with missing assignment report per student, but not at school level. However, it also lets our Admins have quicker visibility to view grades in all classes for a student and see missing/zero assignments. We use it for admins, teachers and coaches. Learn more about https://aspiredu.com/solutions/

Speaking of grades for admins in Canvas, there is a little URL hack that can be used when trying to view grades for a student in all classes without Dropout. Simply change the URL after viewing the USER page and remove the account info and append "/grades". Check out this reply for more insight. 

twetzel
Community Member

This would be very helpful for SPED, ESL teachers, counselors, parents and students. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.