[Admin Tools] High Contrast Proposal for Admin Setting

0 Likes

I would like to see an Admin setting in Canvas where I could disable the High Contrast option for all users in a subaccount.

Problem: High Contrast is not compatible with Custom themes. When utilizing custom css and js, critical student/faculty functions can break (example: Assignments cannot be submitted). We do not have a good way to prevent students from enabling this setting, which results in our Help Desk receiving tickets for support.

Solution: It would be ideal if Canvas had an admin setting where we could disable High Contrast as an  option presented to Faculty and Students. This would mitigate High Contrast from Breaking custom themes

4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi @AmandaPage1 -

Thank you for taking the time to share this proposal with the Instructure Community! Unfortunately, this idea will not advance through our Idea Proposal because we need to ensure that our products are accessible to all users. Removing the high contrast option at the account level takes that away when some users need that function to navigate their courses more easily.

I hope you consider participating in the Idea Process again in the future.

mcordes1
Community Participant

@KristinL - Thanks for your response; however, the Canvas high contrast option will not keep accessibility from our students who need this feature. Students can place their machine or device into High Contrast Mode and our custom theme will still work if the machine or mobile device is in high contrast mode. It is Canvas' high contrast mode that will break our theme. With the option to disable this in Canvas, our theme will work and students can still get high contrast mode via their device.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Thank you for clarifying. That is an important detail to know!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived