Administrative/Global Announcements and iOS App

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We frequently send out Administrative/Global Announcements to all students. This is a powerful feature and the Announcements we post are often important and need to be read ASAP. Unfortunately, we learned today that administrative announcements do not appear Canvas iOS app. (Not sure about Android.)  Please add this feature ASAP.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14089-canvas-student-release-notes-ios-320 .

22 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

196220_pastedImage_3.pngThank you for your idea submission,  @bwaters ​. Although this function exists on the Android, it does not exist on the iOS app. We wanted to call your attention to ​ and    which were both submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or duplication. You may want to reference this idea for insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers as well.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. September 7, 2016 - Wed. December 7, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

stuart_ryan
Community Novice

I am curious why this has been added to Android but not iOS, surely for feature parity and consistency this should be added regardless of votes?

Also, I find that this is counter intuitive to the Global Announcements feature overall.

So :smileygrin: +10 votes from me.

@bwaters ​ I think we need to do some sort of promotion for this to get it enough votes to get it closer to the top of the list.

kristin_bayless
Community Contributor

Our students primarily connect to Canvas through the iOS app, so this feature is very important to us. As a Canvas admin, it's troubling to think our building administrators may send important messages through this feature in the browser version thinking the students have received them.  Please get this going for iOS!

michael_hornbac
Community Member

Hey! This was a very much hyped feature at the beginning of the year to principals. When my principal tried to use it today, it was extremely frustrating when we found it didn't work in the app. This SHOULD NOT be a feature request. Instead, it is a feature deficiency. Canvas Help told me this does work in Android. If it works in the browser and in the Android App, why shouldn't it already be in the iOS app?

Please, please fix this soon. It is a great feature for administrators to use.

Thanks!

michael_hornbac
Community Member

Hear, hear! This shouldn't have to be a request at all!

rseilham
Community Champion

YES! Also, make them equal to the web version where we get all the formatting. Android has announcements, but the formatting isn't ideal.

randy_mathisen
Community Novice

I would put this at the top of my wish list for features. 

randy_mathisen
Community Novice

Yes, Agreed!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

As the "app family" continues to grow, I hope that this feature would reach all role-based apps. It would make it possible for different roles to receive customized announcements as well. Smiley Happy