cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Admin Search & Sort

Advanced Admin Search & Sort

(1)
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Advanced search/sort features in the administrator panel would be greatly appreciated.  Specific requests are:

1. The ability to sort a user search by first name, last name, role, ID, email, and other identifiers.
  2. The ability to sort a course search by term, instructor, ID, and other course characteristics.
  3. The ability to search using a username and course "(E.g. search for "Lopez" AND "Math" or "Lope" (i.e. a fraction of the full name) and "Mat" (i.e. a fraction of the course name.)"

Transferred from the old Community

Originally Posted Contributions by: Sheri Riddle, Hong Chau, Gabrielle Orsi, Ean Harker, Mark Williams, Carl Walker

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14284-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-03-10 .

106 Comments
llawrence10
Community Member

I would love to see more information when the User Search displays results. For example, let's say I need to find a person named Luis Lopez.  If I simply type Luis Lopez in the User Search box, the search yields this:

Search.PNG

Then I have to click through each one until I find the specific person I'm looking for.

Perhaps I know his middle initial or middle name. But when you put in more information, if that's not the way the name is displayed, you may end up with "No Results."

Search2.PNG

If I know his user ID, I still may get multiple hits if there are multiple people with variants on the search parameters (for ex., llopez1, llopez10, llopez123):

Search3.PNG

So, if the displayed search results could also include more-detailed information, it would be REALLY helpful! Thanks.

SethBattis
Community Member

Hmm. Some of this is already folded into the existing Find A Course and Find A User searches -- I can search for courses by course code or SIS ID as well as name, for example, and for users by email or SIS ID as well. But it's not shown -- and I can't restrict my search. It would be keen to have some sort of advanced search option that would let me narrow my search or search more precisely. (As well as llawrence10​'s suggestion of a bit more preview information.)

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

communityteam​ - is there any way we can get the typo in the name - Aministrator to Administrator - fixed? I think the type might be preventing people from finding this request if they are trying to do a search for admin features. Thanks!!

bbelew
Community Member

Here is an example of how I would like to see the users page - courses could be the same way.  Searchable, sortable table.  This is a jQuery plugin called DataTables -- https://www.datatables.net/

users-sample.png

jordan
Community Member

That is just beautiful, Brandon!!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user​ - could you fix the name of this feature request?

jordan
Community Member

I changed the title to Admin as this is the term we use when referencing the interface administrators use. I could change it to Amin if you'd like 😉 I've also added "administrator" and a couple other items as tags. I LOVE this request, btw!

Onward and upward!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks!

jazemlya
Surveyor

I also like the idea of being able to search by role.  If i can easily find what users have certain roles in the system it would help to simplify our auditing of admin accounts per university security policy.  Especially if that search yielded unique user data such as email address and was exportable via CSV/Excel.

cms_hickss
Learner II

I would love to see an Advance Search option that has fields for last name, first name, email, username, etc with the ability for contains or equal to what's in the search fields.  Sometimes we get asked to look for a user but are not given the correct or full spelling of a name and being able to use an advanced search to look for a last name that contains "X" and a first name that starts with "Y" would be very beneficial.

John_Lowe
Learner II

Helpful +1

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Having this functionality would positively impact my life a minimum of 15-20 times a day EVERY workday and most non work days! Yes, that's how often (if not more) I go looking for a course or person and have to mess around with the current ineffective admin search.

hesspe
Adventurer

This may seem like a silly little detail, but it's big for me too.  Today, I had to search for Allen Thomas.  If I entered Allen Thomas (or Thomas, Allen) in the name field, the search failed, because the full name contains a middle initial which I didm't know.  (Actually I'm not sure why  "Thomas, Allen" doesn't work to find "Thomas, Allen M", but it doesn't.)   If I search for Allen or Thomas the search returned pages of results.  This was perhaps an extreme, but certainly not a unique, case.

racole
Community Member

It would also be helpful to be able to adjust user roles from the user list / enrollments list.  Unenrolling and reenrolling is not a good option if need to change role for multiple users in course section.  Is there already a request for this?

ejackson
Learner II

I totally agree, Kona! For an example, there are 3 Elizabeth Jackson's in our Canvas: One works in Online Learning (me), one is a student, and one is a faculty member. I also know of at least one other instance where we have a student and a faculty member with the same exact name, which makes it pretty 'interesting' if I'm trying to send a message to one of them and not sure which one I'm sending it to. If we could search by role or by username, that would be extremely helpful for everyone involved! (I wonder how many times someone tries to send me an Inbox message and it gets to the wrong person....)

cms_hickss
Learner II

There looks to be an Idea/Request for that here: " modifiedtitle="true" title="Ability to change a users role without deleting the user  It opens in June for voting.

csalazar
Instructure
Instructure

The User Search field for Admins supports searching for First or Last Name, login information, and SIS ID, but we don't do a good job of displaying that information on the search results field. In the "Luis Lopez" example above are there specific fields that we could add in new columns that would make it easier to find the correct user? I would also love to know what columns you would like to see for Course Search results.

I would love your input sriddle​,  @bbelew ​, and llawrence10​!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Find a User: It would be great if when you did a search you got the following results - name, login ID, and SIS ID

Find a course:

• What would be amazing if you could initially narrow down the search. For example, select summer 2015 and BIOL 101. I know you can get this information now, but the extra clicks it takes really is annoying and not user-friendly.
  • It would also be pretty awesome if you could do a course search by instructor - type in the instructors name and get all of their courses - and also be able to narrow this down by semester. A lot of times it would be very useful to see a list of all the courses an instructor is teaching by semester. As it is now, you have to search for the instructor and then go to the bottom of their page and then scroll through a random list of EVERY course they are in - which is NOT effective at all.
cms_hickss
Learner II

Adding to  @kona ​' response.

For User we'd also like to see email address (as we don't use email as a login credential) and Name divided into First and Last.

For Course:

• If the search actually goes over the viewable name for their to be a message to tell you that (otherwise it looks like the course isn't there when it is).
  • If it could also show the names of the TA(s) and/or Designer(s) enrolled.
  • As in  @kona ​ second bullet, maybe something were you can search on a partial course name and a teacher last name (example: ENC courses taught by Jacobs).
mzucal
Explorer III

This would be awesome if the admin search results could return this information and sorting capability. I can't tell you how disappointed and frustrated I am with the admin side of things ion Canvas.