All or No Points on Multiple Answer Questions

Currently multiple answer questions give a partial score if students do not choose all the correct answers. Please add a feature that allows faculty to set multiple answer questions to give an all or nothing score if the student does not choose all of the correct answers. Many professional certification exams require this type of scoring and currently our faculty are having to hand grade these questions.
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please refer to How do I create a Multiple Answer question in New Quizzes?

94 Comments
sarmstrong2
Community Novice

Gosh - these comments go back several years...we have asked and asked for this feature and are super disappointed it has not been added! The other LMS's we have used included this type of testing ability (though we LIKE Canvas) and were more responsive to priority requests:(

pmunro
Community Novice

We absolutely need this feature for nursing. We have been asking for this feature since we went to Canvas a year ago. Our old LMS had this feature. We need this ability for testing for our students. This is a priority for testing nursing students. Seems like there has been no action for this request. Comments go back as far as 2015. this is a priority!

kdougherty1
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello everyone,

I'd like to direct you to a Quizzes.Next discussion on this topic: Scoring Multiple Answer questions 

Here's a relevant excerpt:

Quizzes.Next currently supports all-or-nothing scoring for the Multiple Answer question type and we will not be removing or changing this. We are considering the addition of a partial scoring option. Both scoring approaches would be available and when building an assessment, the teacher's preferred scoring option could be set for each Multiple Answer question.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

heather_stockfo
Community Contributor

tHanks @Kevin Dougherty. We are going to trial this. I look forward to the full integration though.

lhardy
Community Novice

Nursing courses need this option. I will not repeat what others have already explained re: NCLEX format for our students.  

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

ahasselbring
Community Novice

PLEASE help us!!  It is SO labor intensive to go through and manually change each select all question to no credit if a portion was not answered correctly.  

toni_repetti
Community Member

This is crucial in my opinion.  Giving partial credit when the students didn't really know the answer 9since they did not select all right answers or they selected some wrong) is not valid.  Knowing how to do something half way is not sufficient which is what partial points in this questions allows

tverbance
Community Novice

This is frustrating.  We are new to Canvas, and are struggling with the Select all that apply questions.  I can't believe that this has been an ongoing discussion since 2015, and there has not been any adjustments made to the grading of multiple answer questions.  As stated in previous comments, these questions are key for nursing students to master prior to taking the NCLEX.

kschulze1
Community Novice

Yes, we need all or nothing in nursing programs!