cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Admins to hide Course Menu Bar Items by Default

Allow Admins to hide Course Menu Bar Items by Default

(2)
Many instructors get overwhelmed by the options available in the menu bars of their classes.  As administrators, we would like the ability to hide designated menu items by default, by subaccount.

Because many of our instructors don't use certain tools, like Attendance, Outcomes, Conferences, or Collaborations, this change would make a cleaner experience for the instructor.

Use case:

• Admins could hide by default select items on the menu, by subaccount.
  • Hidden items would appear under the "Drag items here to hide them from students." area. 
  • Hidden items would not appear as "greyed" out on the menu.
  • Instructors could unhide items by going to Settings/Navigation and moving the item up to the navigation.

Below is a typical menu for us and an example of a nice short menu that we could cultivate.

183532_Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 11.30.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-10 at 11.30.56 AM.png183587_Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 11.32.49 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-10 at 11.32.49 AM.png

17 Comments
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for submitting this feature idea!  Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea!

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016! Smiley Wink

Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

Community Member

We are new Canvas customers and I would love to be able to set a default menu that fits our district. Sub-Account level customization would also be preffered as we would have Elementary, Middle, and High school settings differ.

Community Coach
Community Coach

If I am understanding this Feature Request correctly...maybe a temporary work-around would be to use Canvas Commons.  (From your screen shot, it doesn't look like Commons is enabled at your school, but you could talk with your CSM to have it turned on.)  A co-worker and I have a course in Canvas we use as a template.  It has some very bare-bones content in it, and it also has a left navigation menu order that we use.  We shared this entire template course to Canvas Commons (just so people at our school can see it).  When my co-worker and I build new courses, we go to Commons and import the template into our new course shell, and the left menu is imported exactly how we wanted it.  Maybe you'd be able to do something similar at your school until your idea is developed by Instructure?  Just a thought/suggestion.

Explorer III

This is a great feature request!  We too have a very long default menu and would love to make more of the buttons "opt in" vs the current "opt out" system.  By default, students would have a more streamlined and user-friendly experience.

Thanks for posting!

Amy

Learner II

Great idea nuroark​!!!

Community Member

I agree with the navigation request......and would add on that Admin and/or Teachers also need to be able to control the Menu bar in the Groups.

Our students are super confused when all of those options pop up that they've never seen before - and we don't actually support them either.

Learner II

Welcome to the 100+ club, nuroark​!! I can't wait to see how both of our ideas come out of the review process this week!  Best of luck!!

Instructure
Instructure

We are currently researching a bigger project that could involve cleaning up the menu bar for instructors and students. We do not have a timeline quite yet. However, it wont be in the 6 months so this idea will be archived.

Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...