Allow Annotation of PDF Documents Directly In The Canvas App

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I recently saw an archived idea (listed at the end of this listing). I am sad to see that it was archived with only 42 votes (I just leaned about voting today...brand new here). I would like to reemphasize a use case.

In today's paperless classroom it is useful to gather information from students through writing. Specifically in the K-12 arena, where we still sometimes ask students to fill out worksheets to show certain level of mastery of fact based work such as mathematics and grammar. While K-12 education should be striving to change from multiple choice tests and simple drill and kill to cognitive mastery, there are still cases where this type of assignment can be useful at reemphasizing skills. Furthermore, while speed grader does give the ability to the teacher to quickly click through rubrics or embed notes there are times teachers would like to "write" directly on student submissions. Adding in an annotation feature helps in both of these situations. Annotation features could also be used for signatures of documents passed back and forth for things such as field trips and other permission based files teachers may wish to send home with students.

For younger children especially, it is hard to advocate for using separate apps. Having one application that does viewing of pdf files and annotation would cut down tremendously on downtime used to submit and view documents. It would also tie well with the offline files feature that Canvas has already implemented for uses where internet is not reliable or homes which have no internet.

I would like to see the archived idea reopened for a vote. There are many competing products out that already do this sort of annotation. Our school is actually moving from a different product to Canvas because we want a more full blown LMS for online courses in the future. My teachers are all still under beginning phases of training and would all vote for the feature if it were opened up again. That would be 80+ more votes for implementation.

Student assignment annotation on mobile by Hilary Scharton

Comments from Instructure

For more information, take a look at the release notes:

Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (iOS 3.15)

Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (Android 5.5) 

71 Comments
srea
Community Participant

HI all,   How is this annotation with Canvas idea progressing?  Our students have access to iPads 100% of time.  I am anxious to see how soon we might have an annotation feature within Canvas it self. 

Currently we have tried various other apps which we "Open the document In",  annotate and then send back to Canvas - but some of these take up to 11 steps to complete.

I have reviewed 6 FREE and approved apps that will annotate on PDFs which is opened from Canvas.   Then will submit back into Canvas....  Nothing is to my liking.   I have no idea how to direct teachers any longer, who are using Canvas and want students to do a paperless assignment then submit back into Canvas.    We can only use FREE apps within our district.

Notability - no longer free.

Type on PDF for Free -  no longer avail in App Store if you didn't already download.  ( This WAS my favorite!)

Smart forms - works like Type on PDF and is free but puts a big watermark on documents and makes it hard to see the annotation.

iPad lite - no longer avail.

iPad 3 - no longer free

TinyPDF - doesn't save the handwriting on PDFs only the typed text

PDFMax - doesn't talk to Canvas must take a screenshot and up,iAd an image.

Adobe - free version - doesn't have certain features.

Other ideas anyone ???   Appreciate any thoughts or updates on this issue.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Sue!

Great idea to request other app ideas!

There is a very recent update from Peyton here​.  Please do follow this idea to receive updates as they are available.

srea
Community Participant

We are a 1:1 ipad district.  This is great news!!

Our students would be completing .PDF  "worksheets"   both with free writing and typed text.  Then being able to OPEN IN - back into Canvas and submit. 

petern
Community Contributor

Hi Peyton, 

At our school the most common use for this would be annotating student assignment submissions that were DOCX files.  Some PPTX also. 

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Of course if you allowed editing and saving of office files directly in the browser as recommended by Peter Nickson in his idea here then we could kill two birds with one stone. How amazing could this be..  Our staff are crying out for this feature.

Sometimes ideas like this should just be implemented as standard rather than voted for. If you don't want it then don't use it. We would be happy to pay extra for the feature!!

theresamchugh
Community Novice

Hi Carol,

Did you add the Notability app onto Canvas (Settings--apps)? Or is it a separate app that you just have on your device and are able to upload information from Notability to Canvas, such as for an assignment submission?

Theresa Adams

rowlandl
Community Novice

Please add this feature--we need it!

hilary
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey All,

If you'd be willing to be part of a small group of beta testers for this functionality, please private message me. 

Thanks!

Hilary Smiley Happy

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Would love to be involved. Would be coming at it from a K12 perspective and iPad perspective.

Thanks

Gideon Williams

Director of eLearning

+31 (0)71 560 2208

Gideon.Williams@britishschool.nl

[cid:image002.jpg@01D209FC.F87FA850]<https://twitter.com/BSNetherlands>[cid:image003.jpg@01D209FC.F87FA850]<https://www.facebook.com/BSNetherlands/>[cid:image004.jpg@01D209FC.F87FA850]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-british-school-in-the-netherlands>[cid:image005.jpg@01D209FC.F87FA850]<https://www.instagram.com/bsnetherlands/>

Jan van Hooflaan 3, 2252BG Voorschoten

britishschool.nl<http://www.britishschool.nl/>

bconner
Community Explorer

I would love to test the functionality. My teachers would think you could walk on water if you could make this happen.

Sent from my iPhone