Allow Canvas media player to play in full-screen mode

0 Likes

To me this is by far the biggest usability complaint I have about Canvas: the media player cannot expand to full-screen mode.

The videos for all classes I'm taking (or I have taken in the past) could all benefit from playing full-screen. Right now I'm squinting at the little rectangle to see what's going on there. In full-screen the experience would be FAR better.

This is not a radical proposal. Youtube, Vimeo, etc had full-screen mode since the beginning of time. Any video player app I've ever used has or had it.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
4 Comments
afoote
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @Florin_Andrei,

Thanks for your suggestion. If you record a video in the Canvas rich content editor, there is a fullscreen option in the media toolbar once it renders. Are you using a different media service or tool that does not allow the fullscreen option?

Thanks,

Alli

Florin_Andrei
Community Member

Hi Alli,

I'm just a student at UW LaCrosse. I've taken several classes already, they use Canvas for the lectures and presentations, and not a single video in any of those classes had a fullscreen option. Not one.

I don't know the reason for that, I'm just stating a fact.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Florin_Andrei Videos recorded directly in a page by an instructor provide a full-screen option, as do videos the instructor records using Canvas Studio. Here's a lesson that displays the double-pointed arrow: How do I manage video options in the Rich Content ... - Canvas Community

Since this is existing functionality in Canvas, we won't be able to help troubleshoot this, and there are many variables in video creation that might account for the absence of a full screen option. Would you please ask the local IT Desk for your school to look at the videos on your behalf?

Thanks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived