Allow Grade Sync by Grading Period

0 Likes
(4)

When syncing in a new grading period, it would be great to sort the assignment so that we only see the ones for that grading period. Instead of seeing all the assignments from the past grading period and either leaving them checked or spending time unchecking them. It would be great to be able to select the grading period similar to how we can select a section. 

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

sdees
Community Member

Yes, this would be a valuable and time saving update for all year-long teachers. Attached is a screenshot--if grading periods can be added to the drop down menu in gradepassback our life would be complete (not really, but it would be a VERY welcome enhancement). Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 10.54.58 AM.png

sdees
Community Member

Here's a workaround that a colleague gave me...simple, but a bit time consuming.  Go into Assignments for the previous grading period and disable sync to SIS.  The assignments will not show up in gradepassback.

joe_johnson
Community Member

@sdees Our teachers have to manually disable 'sync to SIS' from all Semester 1 assignments as well, and it is pretty painful for them.

I don't understand why the view filter for Grading Periods wasn't tied in to grade syncing from the beginning, it's just a date range.

BRIDGETNEWELL
Community Novice

Hi,

I use Canvas as my LMS in a K12 setting. Our first grading period just ended. We use Skyward to house our grades and records. I sync my Canvas grades to Skyward weekly. Now that the first grading period has ended, I need past module grades to disappear from the grades list so that the bottom "Total" score matches what students will see in Skyward. For example, a student earned a 92 for Quarter 1. As we move into Quarter 2, her grade essentially starts from scratch but her Canvas grade does not. 

Would you explore ways to hide grades permanently from students without having to delete an entire module? 

olsons1
Community Explorer

@BRIDGETNEWELL 

You will want your admin to create grading periods. Then you can have Q1 and Q2 for your grading term. You will toggle between them and assignment dates will determine which grading period they fall into. 

BRIDGETNEWELL
Community Novice

Thank you @olsons! Your suggested worked. My admin created our grading periods based on our calendar dates so we now have Q1-Q4. When I create assignments, the grades automatically fall under the Q in which they were assigned. Now the Canvas grades accurately mirror what Skyward shows. Hooray! This a snip of 'student view'. Students see the current Q but they can select from a drop down to show previous quarters. 

CanvasCapture1.PNG

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Instructure would like to do this, but the API doesn't give us a great way to query assignments by grading period right now