[Groups] Allow Groups to set Homepage

We have more schools using the admin- and course-level groups feature to communicate with staff in the building and differentiate by type of staff, grade level teams, departments and others.  It would be extremely beneficial if the group function allowed them to set a custom homepage.  If you go to the pages it does allow you to set a homepage but then the group home only shows the recent activity stream.

Added to Theme

84 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

No problem, @yuyenchang Thank you for investing your time in this forum.

BradMoser
Community Contributor

@scottdennis @yuyenchang @sgarcia1 Thanks for keeping this conversation moving. I wish I could like or give Kudos or whatever to your posts on this thread. But it doesn't look like I can. So I will tag you in this reply. 

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks @BradMoser  😁

shamini_dias
Community Member

This has been a request for a long time - GROUPS - can we please allow Groups to set up their own Front Page?

I want to put a welcome front page on each of my class group sites so that when they enter, they see a welcome and some group process instructions. Right now, groups are not as motivated to engage on their group sites because it's a cold group activity item.

r_sabanayagam
Community Member

Can this idea of setting homepages for groups please come out of archive.  I'm sure a number of staff will be interested in having this feature and we can get the votes for it

jbay005
Community Member

thanks @r_sabanayagam 

Enabling homepages for groups would be VERY useful for group work and in particular for supporting the offshore students within a cohort. It would be great if we could get this back on the agenda for change. Given the likelihood of us having offshore/remote students for some time to come  - could this please be considered carefully as we are all doing our best to create an effective learning environment for these sub-cohorts. 

ethomp78
Community Explorer

This would be a great feature to add. 

blakemacnelly
Community Explorer

This would be a great feature! Please add it!

dprosentrater
Community Member

We would really benefit from this feature. We have a variety of account-level groups that we would like to create for faculty and student collaboration and resource sharing. Account-level groups are the obvious place to do this. However, the inability to set a homepage has us wondering if we should avoid the groups altogether and use courses instead (which seems like a hack).

Since groups are a core object in the user interface, it would be great to see them upgraded to have the same standard of functionality as courses. I'm hopeful that there will be some future investment into Groups to make them more usable. Being able to set a custom homepage would be a big win for Groups!

tonja_kelly
Community Explorer

Easy course navigation is a core feature for accessibility and universal design for learning. Group pages are not easy because when you get there you are greeted with basically a blank page. We would not be satisfied with this anywhere in a course, yet there is no good way to give guidance on what to do next except put a page in the main part of the course with instructions on how to find groups and then what to do when the student gets there. Come on Canvas, be a great LMS!