[SpeedGrader] Allow HTML in Assignment Comments

In providing feedback to students in the Assignment Comments area of an assignment, I often provide URLs to students.  Currently, the comments area is text only so students cannot click on the URL to go to the website.  Instead, they need to manually copy and paste the URL to make it work.  It would be nice to have some HTML functionality here.

Added to Theme

56 Comments
Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

I'd like to add that when a link is added in comments, our elementary and middle school students (who only have iPads) can't even select the URL in order to copy and paste.   So having the URL become active on the iPads Student App is also necessary.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

alan_ng
Community Novice

I absolutely 100% need some kind of formatting (and clickable links) in comments, especially SpeedGrader annotations. I teach German and use an OER online textbook.

sesams
Community Novice

PLEEEASE.

alan_ng
Community Novice

Everyone who likes this idea should be aware that Canvas considers this idea separate from the similar ideahttps://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13334-make-links-in-speedgrader-comments-clickable - you may want to vote for that one, too!

dittoa
Community Member

Please make this a possibility! Not being able to copy/paste tables is doubling my grading time.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Having html/rich text for all comments, including additional comments on individual quiz questions would be preferred.

Currently when writing individual comments on a quiz question, it appears as if line breaks are working, but when the student views the comment all text is strung together.  It's an unhappy surprise to new teachers who've gone to all the work of writing detailed comments.  This behavior is different from assignment comments  - but having html comments should fix it.

ashbyd
Community Explorer

Perhaps the biggest reason for this is to be able to send students to external resources that can assist in remediation. I need to be able to send my students to websites, videos, etc that can explain to students better than I can in plain text, how to fix the problems I've seen in their work. 

carl_putnam
Community Novice

The ability to direct students to campus resources is an important component in the classes my department teaches. Instructors should be able to include hyperlinks in the comments to give students easy access to said resources. 

hardinm
Community Contributor

I echo all of the concerns. We use Annotate Pro to use canned comments, and they all include live URLs as resources. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do this! iPads cannot copy and paste these links.