[SpeedGrader] Allow HTML in Assignment Comments

In providing feedback to students in the Assignment Comments area of an assignment, I often provide URLs to students.  Currently, the comments area is text only so students cannot click on the URL to go to the website.  Instead, they need to manually copy and paste the URL to make it work.  It would be nice to have some HTML functionality here.

Added to Theme

56 Comments
schw0262
Community Novice

Just wanted to keep this thread alive, in the hopes that this gets done.  Having the ability to create live links in comment fields would be especially helpful with my pre-service educator students (all of whom are possible future Canvas customers) since I stress the need for them to post live links in assignments and with their own students.

david_mcrae
Community Novice

After grading an assignment, the comment is a nice way to share a completed solution.  I would prefer to link to a pdf that is stored in a shared drive, then attaching a file to each student after I have graded their work.  Heaven forbid, I every type an error into a solution page, correction in one place that is linked to each student would be much less work than correcting every comment.  My current option is to use shortened links to the file in a shared drive, but students have to cut and paste the link.  A hyperlink would be ideal.  

ashbyd
Community Explorer

I have been pasting URLs into my feedback comments and then tell students to copy and paste the URL on their own. This is a poor workaround for many reasons. This semester I learned that students who are using the mobile app cannot select/copy/paste text or URLs left in the comment box. 

Please, please, please prioritize and expedite this request. 

christopher_ca1
Community Novice

Yes adding in Hyperlinks in Speedgrader Comments - throughout Canvas - seems so obviously important for any communications with Students - Hyperlinks in comments are even more essential now than years ago - I've upvoted this for several years: Canvas, we are calling out to you to help make this better for everyone! I see it's on "Product Radar": Ok good first step... now how can we encourage this to the next step?  

petern
Community Contributor

Some basic links and an image would be great.  Thinking about bitmojis here

jmichl
Community Novice

I'm using the Screencastify add-in for Chrome to record my feedback. This allows me to run the computer code my students submit and talk over it. The video feature of Canvas grading doesn't work for me since I'm not trying to record my fact but rather the desktop. Screencastify provides me a Google link which I paste into the feedback. But this requires the student to click the link, load the file, etc. Screencastify also will give me embed code which is idea...IF Canvas would allow HTML feedback.

lsleddttown
Community Novice

Just URLs, for starters, would be amazing. Very 2020. Like, maybe this YouTube vid will help- and it would be clickable! Imagine it.

chsgomez
Community Novice

Please!!!! I depend on URLs to provide my students with re-teaching videos.  There is a HUGE difference between clicking on a rubric and actually providing feedback.  

KeaNepal
Community Member

Thank you so much for the worthy information 

clouds
Community Novice

I see this thread has continued on for several years, yet I do not see any revision to the feature or a "vote" documented. It would be very helpful to allow for HTML links in Assignment Comments, just as we have available to us in Inbox communication and any other text feature (discussion post, announcements, etc.).  Assignment Comments is where I provide the majority of my personal feedback for students, and offer resources, including links to online sources-- students must copy and paste the URL from comments to browser to pursue that feedback.