Allow New Quizzes fill in the blanks to have multiple blanks on different lines

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

The old quiz system allows multiple blanks to be placed anywhere within a question; even in a table.  the new system does not.  In the old system I could pose an order of operations questions as:

2^2 + 4 -10/3=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]

In the new system they have to be on the same line and thus create confusion.  I also cannot have them fill in missing values from a table in the new system either.  The way the old system handled multiple blanks was much more conducive to accurately measuring if students know what to do.

65 Comments
kroeninm
Community Champion

Yes!  We use this often.  Full rich-text editing would be ideal.  We often use tables with blanks in courses where students fill in specific cells as you mention.

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3791-new-quizzes-allow-rich-content-editing-for-fill-in-the-bl... 

Melanie

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

I agree with you,  @kroeninm ‌, especially when there are subquestions within a single question (i.e., 9a, 9b).

FITB Lines

lbach
Community Participant

If we can't have rich text formatting in these types of questions, can we at least get line breaks? 

nalexandrowicz
Community Explorer

Please make editing an option for the fill in the blank questions. The ability to create tables and organize the content was key to making this aspect of quizzes work.

kerributtery
Community Participant
olian
Community Explorer

Agree, you must at least be able to make line breaks!

brookslo
Community Member

YES! I want to place the blanks anywhere, not just in a linear statement. Examples below. (I am aware that I can create the question as a stimulus and then attach a fill-in-the-blank question for each statement, but I would rather create 1 question than 4). I use these question types as teaching tools to scaffold.

fimbexample.png

thongst
Community Member

Yes, this is an issue and students are getting confused especially with multiple blanks.  In science measurement units show up on the next line and it is confusing. There is no way to control when the line breaks.  This new quiz should not have been rolled out without these very common sense formats.

thongst
Community Member

There is no way to do subsripts and supercripts in the new fill in the blank questions.  This makes it not useful for science where subscripts and superscripts, symbol additions are necessary.

acgottfr
Community Participant

I am trying to use the fill in the blank for science questions as well where I have multiple parts to the same question.  It is harder to clearly communicate that parts a-c are all about the same system, when I have to create a new question for each one.  Yes, I have tried the stimulus options but I still have to create a new question for each part and then Canvas numbers each question and spread them out so they do not all fit on the screen at one time.

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 5.30.27 AM.png