Allow New Quizzes fill in the blanks to have multiple blanks on different lines

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

The old quiz system allows multiple blanks to be placed anywhere within a question; even in a table.  the new system does not.  In the old system I could pose an order of operations questions as:

2^2 + 4 -10/3=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]

In the new system they have to be on the same line and thus create confusion.  I also cannot have them fill in missing values from a table in the new system either.  The way the old system handled multiple blanks was much more conducive to accurately measuring if students know what to do.

65 Comments
cvalle
Community Participant

I sometimes have long fill in the blank questions with many boxes to fill. It would be very helpful if we could type new lines to allow for multiple paragraphs in the question area for question type "Fill in the Blank". 

Thanks!

cejones
Community Explorer

This is definitely important to do.  I want to have each question start on a separate line, and I'd like to be able to put things in bold to make sure students don't carelessly miss a word.  (I actually find the new quiz harder to read, for some reason.)

I am confused as to why in the new quizzes you would take away the useful features of the old quizzes.

mo_woods
Community Explorer

Absolutely a must have! New Quizzes just seems buggy without the ability to format these sorts of things...

LisaDMurphy
Community Member

Rich text would be ideal.  Line breaks are essential.

BethCrook
Community Contributor

Everyone, I believe rich text is coming!  🤞

chadmin
Community Explorer

Hopefully Rich Text is on the way, but just want to add another voice to help get it over the hill!

AllisonMeinecke
Community Member

Is there an easy way (in New Quizzes) to format fill-in the blank questions like pictured?

FillInTheBlankFormat.jpg

Steph_30
Community Contributor

@BethCrook Indeed! We have the same problem with our language tests. The fact that there are no line breaks really confuses the students. The only alternative is to create a new question per blank. However, that means that a single question with multiple blanks has to be split, and so it cannot be added to the question bank.

We really hope rich text will be made available in new quizzes soon. 🤞

SarahWhitehead
Community Explorer

Yes- this is a huge issue for me in my Spanish courses, too.  Extremely confusing to not have line breaks (at the very least) for students- particularly in a foreign language!  I hope this gets fixed asap.

SarahWhitehead
Community Explorer

This is coming up for me, too!  Very confusing for students in my Spanish courses- they're already working in a foreign language, and we have a lot of questions like this.  400+ students will be impacted per semester once Classic Quizzes is retired.... hope it's fixed soon.