Allow New Quizzes fill in the blanks to have multiple blanks on different lines

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

The old quiz system allows multiple blanks to be placed anywhere within a question; even in a table.  the new system does not.  In the old system I could pose an order of operations questions as:

2^2 + 4 -10/3=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]

In the new system they have to be on the same line and thus create confusion.  I also cannot have them fill in missing values from a table in the new system either.  The way the old system handled multiple blanks was much more conducive to accurately measuring if students know what to do.

65 Comments
BethCrook
Community Coach
Community Coach

The conversation is continuing and updates are being posted on Sunsetting Classic Quizzes Q&A 

@SuSorensen just recently posted the following: 
"I know that partial points/credit on question types that are multi part are particularly important. We do plan to implement this on more question types, starting with matching. Stay tuned, we'll be sharing more shortly. 😊"

And RCE is coming to New Quizzes as well, which should answer our need for not only multiple fill-in-the-blank questions, but also audio/video recording submissions, formatting, and content submissions as well!   Check out that conversation here.

JoshuaHarper
Community Participant

Absolutely agree! I keep getting terribly frustrated with "new quizzes" because they just don't work right for some of the questions I need to create.

massedc
Community Member

This has been the most frustrating thing for me. I teach statistics and the formatting of the questions with multiple blanks is terribly frustrating - both for me and my students. I also have many tables for students to fill out. I could use fill in the blank with classic quizzes; however, I can't do that in New Quizzes. I have had to post those questions as essay questions, and then the students would make their own tables. Guess who has to grade all of those tables? ME! I love Canvas quizzes because of the grading help they give. I am not feeling the love now that I have graded 120 tables that were randomized. Yikes!

AlisonGomez
Community Member

On Fill in the Blank questions on New Quizzes, I teach chemistry and would like the option to start a new paragraph/line at any point during the text. For example, have 2+2 = blank on one line, I click enter, and 2+3 = blank is on the next line. Currently, the ability to start text on a new line is blocked (I hit the Enter key and nothing happens). 

MeganOHara
Community Member

PPPLLLLEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEE!!!!

cejones
Community Explorer

Any questions that have anything beyond a simple one-step calculation need this functionality.  If I want to test people on their ability to do solve realistic problems using a Canvas quiz, I need to put several parts under one question to be sure that the right answers go in the right places.  Without the ability to insert line breaks, the wrap-around format is potentially confusing and frustrating for students, and it discourages instructors from putting sub-questions of any complexity. 

I am thus more likely to put in a stupid simple question instead of the sort of realistic question I would put on an old-school hand-written test.

Please allow us to better format these questions!

tslee
Community Participant

I echo the need for new quizzes to make "fill in the blanks" question type created on multiple lines and word-wrap. 

Also, in new quizzes, if I make a mistake in the words I want to highlight after I've added answer choices... it is difficult to undo and I must re-type the answer choices all over again 😞 !

kmacan
Community Member

Writing questions that have fill in the blanks embedded makes the formatting really awkward. For example, a bulleted list can't have blanks embedded. 

jr0024
Community Member

Please have the RCE for all questions, instructions, answers, etc. It really would be very helpful. Also, for fill-in-the-blank questions to be able to place blanks where I would like them and not have a weird text wrapping, which is confusing for students to view.

hwalter1
Community Participant

Yes, I want to have multiple parts to the same question root. This was possible in the old quizzes, but not new. Makes formatting tricky!