Allow New Quizzes fill in the blanks to have multiple blanks on different lines

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

The old quiz system allows multiple blanks to be placed anywhere within a question; even in a table.  the new system does not.  In the old system I could pose an order of operations questions as:

2^2 + 4 -10/3=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]=

[BLANK TO FILL IN]

In the new system they have to be on the same line and thus create confusion.  I also cannot have them fill in missing values from a table in the new system either.  The way the old system handled multiple blanks was much more conducive to accurately measuring if students know what to do.

65 Comments
Varick_Erickson
Community Member

Our university is in the process of switching over to Canvas from Blackboard and I am part of the pilot group. The lack of formatting for multiple fill-in-the-blank is a huge problem.   I would be ok with Classic Quizzes except for the fact that it does not offer regular expressions.  This leaves me in a tough spot:

Classic Quizzes:  Formats fine, but no regular expressions for grading
New Quizzes:  Regular expressions for grading, but no formatting

I rely heavily on formatted fill-in-the-blank for programming tests/quizzes and have spent hours looking for potential workarounds.  For what it is worth, Blackboard can do both regular expressions and formatting.

BethCrook
Community Contributor

@Varick_Erickson The new RCE is being developed/finalized and will be the answer for multiple fill-ins.  They are aiming to have it rolled out by end of Q2, knowing that it's an essential tool and there needs to be time for course prep this summer.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Quizzes-Transition/Current-status-of-New-Quizzes-API/ba-p/517859#...

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-04-16) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed