[Modules] Allow Number of Discussion Posts Set for Module Requirement to be Complete

Similar to the Module Setting for Quiz objects of "Score at least..." x points before that requirement is met, please add "Submit at least x [number of] forum posts" for Discussion objects. In my courses, I often have a required "initial" post and two or three "reply" posts due for discussions. Unfortunately, if "contribute to the page" is used for discussions, a single post credits that requirement as being fully completed. The student sees a Green check mark by that module item in their view, and they sometimes forgets to go back and submit their required replies. Once the discussion is graded and the student has lost points for missing replies, they sometimes tell me that they completely spaced out going back for those because they saw the green check and weren't alerted that they weren't done. Thanks for your consideration on this!

Added to Theme

46 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I'm glad we could sort it out, and I tip my hat to your enthusiasm. 🙂

justin_carroll
Community Novice

This is one of the most badly needed functions in Canvas. For me as a student, this is beyond aggravating that posting once to a discussion removes it from my To-Do list. In numerous classes, I have missed that another response or two was needed for a discussion.

For instance, this quarter I lost 4% on my grade total in the class because of a missed response to a discussion in Canvas. As a student that is trying to maintain a 4.0 GPA, this is not acceptable. Canvas almost single-handedly ruined my grade in the class. And this scenario has happened to me at least 7 times.

When you are taking 4 classes, having to click into each discussion and see how many times you responded is extremely time consuming, and it is easy to have one lost in the shuffle. 

Jeff_F
Community Champion

@justin_carroll ‌ - I very much appreciate your first and last paragraphs and believe that is sufficient justification to support this change.   

fosterl
Community Contributor

I know, some ideas I wish I COULD stuff the ballot box!

skyye3507
Community Novice

I am a graphic Design graduate and am returning to do refresher classes and finish my bachelors degree and I am having an issue getting back into the discussion posts and responding to my fellow peers. The emails are coming in saying that one of my peers and added to the discussion and commented, but I can not respond to the email. I have lost points this first week of class because there was no reply button on any of the posts from the rest of my peers to be able to respond. I have let my instructor know if this issue, but I am still going to lose points for responding to two of my peers. Can we please get this fixed and possibly get another chance to respond to my peers so I can get my points for the discussion? I am striving to make sure I am on top of my work this time around and this is not helping. I have tried several times to get back in to respond and also tried through email and it won't work.

Also, I had Canvas on my phone and was able to get into my classes, do my discussions and even communicate with the teachers and watch my live sessions. Now it keeps telling me that my password is wrong and won't let me open canvas. Please fix this.

Thank you.

Theresa Foley

Jeff_F
Community Champion

@skyye3507 ‌ - while I am not en employee of Canvas support, I often play the role so I feel qualified to respond. ;o)

1. re: no reply button: this is more than likely due to a setting issue where the discussion forum settings do not have have 'Allow threaded replies' checked off.  Without this students cannot reply to replies. I hope that is logical.  Let your instructor know about the need to adjust the settings.  How do I create a discussion as an instructor? 

2. authentication via mobile app: login requirements vary by institution so I am thinking your first course of action would be to touch base with your IT Dept.at the University.  And if you need it, a link to the guides:  Mobile Guides - Canvas Student 

dtopping-mccooe
Community Novice

I am a new student using canvas for the first time with the majority of my courses online. I have so far lost points like Justin on the reply section because it comes up with a green tick. The assignment should not show as completed until all requirements are met, for example discuss and reply = green tick, discuss no reply's = red tick.  Like Justin this is my career on the line. I also pay full tuition (no grants or federal aid) and feel that canvas is using us as beta testers for a product that has not been fully tested in real life. I feel my money has been wasted on this particular course, and that I am now stuck with grades that I know are not a true reflection of my capabilities. Please consider "will this affect student grades"  when you decide something is not important or did not get the many votes. Maybe you should put something in canvas that allows "student feedback", or the capability to vote on a issue that could affect their grades.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

@dtopping-mccooe ‌ -  I can see that if you are not performing all the required replies at one sitting how such a visual reminder within Canvas may be useful.

To help empower you with a short term solution, try using a post-it note and annotate the number of replies you have remaining to complete.  Stick it on your monitor and mark off the numbers as you go.  After a while it may become routine and no longer be useful.  Sometimes such an analog solution can be very powerful.  But if you want an app, I use Asana which provides organization to my task list.  And you can create recurring tasks for the term such as 1) post an initial response & 2) reply to at least 3 posts.  

Just a few tips from someone who has been there and done that.  ;o)

tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

I know this is a month later, and hopefully you've already sorted this. BUT, it also sounds like the course visibility might be set to public and you're not actually logged in when viewing the discussion boards (so no replies possible--you won't see anyone's postings, either; that's how you'd be able to tell that it was an issue with not being logged in), given that you're having an issue with not being logged into the mobile app. Another reason that you may not see a reply button is if the discussion has been closed for comments. You'll be able to see all of the responses, but there won't be any reply buttons. 

dtopping-mccooe
Community Novice

Thank-you for your response and helpful tip.