[Modules] Allow Number of Discussion Posts Set for Module Requirement to be Complete

Similar to the Module Setting for Quiz objects of "Score at least..." x points before that requirement is met, please add "Submit at least x [number of] forum posts" for Discussion objects. In my courses, I often have a required "initial" post and two or three "reply" posts due for discussions. Unfortunately, if "contribute to the page" is used for discussions, a single post credits that requirement as being fully completed. The student sees a Green check mark by that module item in their view, and they sometimes forgets to go back and submit their required replies. Once the discussion is graded and the student has lost points for missing replies, they sometimes tell me that they completely spaced out going back for those because they saw the green check and weren't alerted that they weren't done. Thanks for your consideration on this!

Added to Theme

46 Comments
soxford
Community Contributor

Requiring a certain number of reply's to comments would be quite helpful.  I have had many instructors ask about this feature in Canvas ( they had it in their other LMS).  Please add.  It would be a great addition and make it easier for students to tell if they have met the criteria of posting more than once.  With long discussion threads it is hard for them to tell how many times they have posted. 

A bonus to this feature would be if in speedgrader it also had a summary for the teacher of how many posts/repies the student made.  

tellison
Community Contributor

Our previous LMS actually allowed us to put in multiple due dates, one for the initial post and one for the replies.

I had a professor just recently put the Due Date for the initial post and leaving the assignment open for the replies.  Entering the Event into the Calendar is a good idea for the replies.

emily
Community Champion

This would be incredibly helpful for our online courses.

nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

I would absolutely agree. I use Events to remind them that they need to post by Wednesday, but having a way to show them when they have met the posting requirements would make this a much more useful notification system.  The more ways students can be reminded of what they need to do, the better their sense of accountability - without my nagging them or sending out announcements and reminders.

nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

I do not seem to be able to vote on this. Any suggestions?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@nancy_lachance , the idea is indeed open for voting--so first, make sure you're logged into the Community (because you have to be logged in to vote), and second, it's possible you have already voted on it (you can't vote on an idea twice). So check both of these things.

James
Community Champion

Good Call stefaniesanders. She is marked as having voted for this. For me, it was about 45% of the way through the list, but I don't know if the list is in a particular order.

241643_pastedImage_1.png

nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

Sorry for trying to stuff the ballot box ☺.

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm glad I follow stefaniesanders‌ and  @James ‌. Just this morning in a Canvas training I shared the challenge of working with discussions that have a reply-and-respond assignment. Separately I had sung the praises of the Canvas Community and how great it is that ordinary users can propose and vote on ideas, and now I have one to share back with the group that is related to a class topic.

And encourage them to join so they can vote it up!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ProfessorBeyrer , that's why I follow  @James ‌ and  @kona ‌!