Allow Quizzes to not Count Towards Final Grade

In Assignments, there is a check box that allows assignments to be exempted from grades. I would like to see that option available to quizzes as well. I know there are practices quizzes, but then there is not as much functionality and the quiz can not be opened in speedgrader.

18 Comments
lshulman
Community Participant

I too would like this option for quizzes (I just created a similar idea for discussions).

At this point a "practice quiz" is possible but does not display in the gradebook. If an option existed for "Do not count this quiz towards the final grade", that would be much quicker to track student progress and let Canvas do the math to work out a "quiz average" at end of semester.

lshulman
Community Participant

Good idea. But I cannot use weighting because I include an extra credit and late penalty column in my gradebook. These may add or subtract points from the total. But since they are not part of the strandard grading (some students get neither extra credit nor late penalty) "Weighted" does not allow for points in these two columns to change the total points. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi everyone, we missed marking this idea as complete when the "Do not count this assignment towards the final grade setting" was implemented in assignments, as New Quizzes are based on the assignment content type. Please refer to https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10120-4152618765 

jaffolte
Community Novice

I checked on the link in Stephanie Sander's post.  I went to edit certain quizzes so that they do not count towards the final grade.  I do not see the option mentioned.  Am I missing something?

lshulman
Community Participant

Hello Jacob, Were those quizzes in the old/classic version or were they "Quizzes Next" (new) quizzes in the new format?

As I understand Stefanie's comment, that applies only to the New Quizzes format.

pmatern
Community Member

Apparently this works in new quizzes, but has there been any potential advancement of this "do not count toward final grade" for classic quizzes? 

I don't think I'm getting new quizzes any time soon, and I'm tired of having to have extra 0% assignment groups to tuck away certain quizzes that shouldn't count toward the grade.  It makes things unclear and a mess with assignments and grades.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed