Allow Same Class subjects to be merged yet kept individual

0 Likes

I hate to bring up other LMS products but with this subject it is a must.  Schoology has the ability to merge same subject classes yet keep each of the class lists separate and allows you to label each class per period all while keeping them merged.  The ease of use of this method allows the user to POST 1 Assignment, select which classes it will be posted too instead of having to copy the assignment to multiple classes.  Canvas's solution to merging classes(at least from what I have tried) is a cluster.  There needs to be a way in which I can combine same subject classes, have the ability to post an assignment and select each class the assignment goes to, share resources instead of having to copy resources to each class separately all in one fell swoop.  Am I missing something?  Doing something wrong?  Toth-Teacher

Tags (2)
4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Thanks for sharing this idea, @AndrewToth . Have you worked with your local Canvas admin to set up cross-listed sections for your same-subject courses?

AndrewToth
Community Member

Yes..however the problem is that when the courses get cross-listed ALL students get put into one class.  That is 160 students.  I need them to be Grouped as a course and separate as classes.  ie:

Graphic Design(Main Group)

(Subgroups)

PD 3

PD 4

PD 5

PD 7

each able to get the 1 assignment that I create yet separate grade books.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@AndrewToth  There's a solution to that! The Gradebook in a cross-listed course can be filtered by section, as detailed in the Filter Gradebook section of  How do I filter columns and rows in the Gradebook? . I taught same-subject cross-listed sections with over 100 total students for many years using this process.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived