Allow Speedgrader access for Teachers in a concluded course

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Currently, it is not possible for teachers of a course to view Speedgrader feedback for any assignments after a course has been concluded.  This is what teachers see if they try to view the Speedgrader entry for an assignment.

176508_pastedImage_0.png176508_pastedImage_0.png

We would prefer that our faculty have autonomy in accessing Speedgrader feedback for a concluded course, rather than relying on academic support staff to temporarily un-conclude a course.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-10-08)

22 Comments
morris_admin
Community Contributor

Renee, SpeedGrader is really buried in closed courses. I didn't know where to go until I saw Stephanie's guidance, and I don't know why the SpeedGrader link along the right sidebar needs to be hidden if it's just available elsewhere under Grades. Also, I'm not sure why the numerical grade disappears in SpeedGrader in closed courses. I do see a need to lock grade changes, but I am not sure why the navigation and view needs to change.

chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

I really wish they'd leave the SpeedGrader link in the assignment too for term-concluded courses.  Faculty have a very hard time finding it when they use the link in assignments throughout the active semester and then all of a sudden it disappears for no good reason.

I even had a ticket opened by a professor where an Instructure support person said speedgrader wasn't available in a concluded course, which is totally incorrect.  Seems like this could be a small fix that would really improve things for a lot of people!

curtain
Community Participant

hear hear

chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Can we have the idea to keep the speedgrader link on the right column of assignments in concluded courses opened for voting?  Or can this be somehow done without the need for a vote?  I know there's the mentioned workaround of going to grades to access speedgrader, but it really shouldn't be a different workflow for teachers just because the course concluded.  I think there's going to be quite a bit of community support for this if it can be put up for a vote.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Christopher,

I looked into this and I did find an an existing engineering ticket, but tickets alone don't guarantee a resolution any time soon. However, the ticket was submitted by our product manager, so that fact should give you a little bit of optimism. Smiley Happy Interestingly enough the SpeedGrader link is visible in quizzes and the Gradebook (but not assignments and graded discussions), so I'm hopeful our engineering teams can review this eventually for consistency in concluded courses. I've associated the ticket with the URL to this feature idea, so if anything happens on the engineering front, our fabulous community team will come back here and post an update for you.

Thanks!

Erin

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for your idea submission.

Honoring our commitment to not delete Community content, your idea has made the journey to Cold Storage  because it is either a duplicate, possibly off topic, or may now be obsolete.  We have moved it from the general Community to keep the Community search results precise and uncluttered.

If you are one that likes the additional chaos of more abundant search results, you can elect to join Cold Storage  in order to see ALL the idea submissions.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-09-26)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-10-08)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @david_house  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @mcarrick ​, jjmorris​, chriscas​, &  @curtain  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

curtain
Community Participant

Very excited to see this going in. We appreciate your commitment to users and providing the tools that allow us to do our jobs effectively.