[User Settings] Allow User to Add Their Name Pronunciation to Profile (phonetically + audio file)

I am a high school teacher, and it would be wonderful if all users had a “speaker” icon that they could use to record their name pronunciation in their own voice. This feature could be part of the User Profile dashboard. Canvas could also provide a field for users to phonetically spell their names. I thought these features would be helpful to staff, allowing them to learn how to pronounce students' names and provide an inclusive environment from the very first day of school.

46 Comments
BethBoza
Community Novice

This would help so many students feel less anxious about roll call during the early days of class.

kristi_stewart
Community Novice

Great idea! 

pohlmanma
Community Contributor

Love this idea! A great way to make any student feel welcome and appreciated is by pronouncing their name correctly!

richard_shoemak
Community Novice

Great idea! Wish I’d thought of it!

PatHall
Community Novice

Phenomenal idea that would help make bridges of connection, respect and inclusivity in classrooms. This, in turn, could translate into feelings of belonging, mattering and a greater sense of community for students, teachers and staff . . . all positively impacting students' ability to learn and engage.

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

Yes, please. I teach ESL at a community college. In any given class, I will have students from ten to twelve different countries. It can be a challenge for me and the students to learn how to properly pronounce everyone's names.

kmasters
Community Explorer

We would love to have this as a native feature in Canvas! Such a nice way to help build classroom community.

david_banyots
Community Member

Sounds like a great idea!

LisaFortney
Community Member

I agree, this would be such a great way to make everyone feel seen and respected. 

NICHOLASGERMAN
Community Novice

Excellent idea!