Allow admins to control when grades lock in concluded grading periods

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. August 5, 2015 - Wed. November 4, 2015  Learn more about voting...

We would like to use the Term Gradebook feature recently added to Canvas. It would allow us to stay in a single course for the entire school year, allowing us to keep learning mastery data in tact, while still giving us the ability to report grades at the end of each term. In its current form, faculty are locked out of editing grades when the grading period ends. This is problematic for our institution. We live on a trimester schedule where a term might end on a Friday, and the next trimester would start on a Monday or Tuesday. Our faculty are grading exams and papers for at least a week into the next Trimester, sometimes longer. Faculty need access to grades from a prior period, even if that period is concluded.

My feature request/idea is this: separate locking down of grades from the end of the grading period and put it in control of the admins. Admins can either set a separate "lock down date," flip a switch manually, or not lock down grades at all. This would greatly improve this feature for institutions like ours, who want flexibility, as well as those who need secure grades passed to their SIS.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-10-08)
31 Comments
cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We're working on designs for this and hope to begin work on weighted grading periods and locked grading periods in the next few weeks.

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We have designs finished and have scoped the work at a high level. Our current plan is to work on an improved version of grading periods after the project we're currently working on. The improved version will allow for admin reporting, grading period lock dates and will associate grading periods with terms making the administration of grading periods tons easier. We'll put together a brief of the project and post it soon. When it's posted, we'll post a link here.

brueckert
Community Champion

Awesome Deactivated user thank you for the update!

joseph_allen
Community Champion

Deactivated user

Thank you for the update.  I think another key piece that I hope is evident about grading periods, is that they need to be able to overlap, similar to the way terms currently work.  My school uses quarters for the most part, but there are a few courses that work on semesters.  Unfortunately you can only employ one schema.  We are certainly grateful to have grading periods as K12 would not really be able to function without them. but let's now evolve the concept to be more similar to terms in that they can overlap, are filterable on all reports etc.  I'm happy to talk at greater length on the needs if you'd like.  Thanks.  

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Update!   

This Idea is currently in development
joseph_allen
Community Champion

@Renee_Carney  is this part of the MGP v2 effort or stand alone?  Either way it is badly needed yesterday.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Joe.  This is part of the Canvas Studio: Multiple Grading Periods V2 Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-10-08)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @brueckert  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @lane_worrall ​, cbarham​,  @sam_dickerman ​,  @clong ,  @shannon_larrea ​,  @joseph_allen ​, nlatimer for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New