[Gradebook Settings] Allow discussion to not count towards final grade

Assignments allow for us to check "Do not count this assignment towards the final grade" while still entering a grade/points. This allows for "progress report" grade. 

I would love to see this option added to quizzes and discussions as well!

For now, all I can do for discussions that are not graded is to make it worth zero points and mark "complete/incomplete" and manually enter comments that might include a letter grade. But, in the end, I want to average all those letter grades to come out to one general "discussion" grade for the entire semester. At this point, I have to figure that average manually and manually enter that grade. Canvas could do this math for us, if only we could enter grades for individual discussions that "Do not count this discussion towards the final grade"

15 Comments
cunninghama
Community Participant

I would like this option as well.  We are using the traditional gradebook to do standards referenced grading.  Teachers choose the "Do not count" option for all assignments and give it a score 1-4.  They then frequently update the grade for the standard.  All this works very well except that this is not an option for discussions.

avclark
Community Member

I want this too.  I use "ungrading," which means these small assignments aren't on their own part of the final grade (which is based only on periodic self-assessments), but I want to be able to rate them 1-2-3, so students can see how they're doing, and I want them on the calendar. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme