Allow editing of calendar (i.e. course, group) for previously added events

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016  Learn more about voting...

Sometimes, I want to add future events to the calendar, but don't know what class I will be teaching then. This means I have to add the event under my personal calendar, then resubmit the whole thing later, under my class calendar. Furthermore, sometimes I add an event and then realize I forgot to add it into the correct calendar. So, I have to erase it and start all over.

Could you please add the option of changing calendars when editing events? It would also help if an event could be added under more than one calendar, in case it applies to multiple classes, or I want it under my personal calendar as well as my class calendar.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

12 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea​ submission.  We wanted to call your attention to " modifiedtitle="true" title="Edit Calendar Assignment​ and   which were submitted in different voting periods.  They may contain valuable discussion and insight as this discussion moves through the voting process.

We also encourage you to check out this article that can help you maximize the exposure and support of your Feature Idea: How do I write a good feature idea submission

snugent
Community Champion

This would be a great feature. In the past I have add several of our instructors put events on their personal calendar by mistake which means they had to recreate all the events over again. This causes major frustration!! Additionally, events are often used or modified each semester. It would be nice to have more control over when an event becomes public to students.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

The interface makes it easy to post events to the wrong calendar (I described the problem here: " modifiedtitle="true" title="In "More Options" screen for calendar event, indicate which calendar i...​ )  One strategy that I learned after posting that feature idea, that may help instructors at your school, is to filter the Calendar by course before starting to add calendar events. If only one course is displayed, then any events you add will default to that course.

lisa_francescon
Community Participant

It would be great if assignment was the default box (not event) and there was a checkbox to make something an event.  I assume most teachers of any age group are primarily adding assignments, not events. This is yet another extra step that makes staff unhappy.

If they could concentrate on one dialog box, edit/make changes to the calendar (at any point or later) that would be super helpful.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

182517_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

testdata_ratten
Community Explorer

We too have seen this problem and we have been able to resubmitted this idea.  Voting is now open until Wed 5 Oct.  So please come and vote.

If at first you don't succeed . . . . .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-08-15)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @molly  for submitting this idea, as well as, snugent​,  @Beth_Young ​,  @lisa_francescon ​, &  @rattenborough   for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy