Allow faculty/administrator to change the color codes in Grade book

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. June 1, 2016 - Wed. September 7, 2016  Learn more about voting...

The faculty/administrators should be able to customize color codes assigned in Canvas Grade book for late submissions. The current colors -- light yellow, light pink are fine for some. But many with color blindness these may not be the right colors. The purpose of the color is to identify late submissions clearly. The faculty members should be able to set these to the ones they prefer.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

For additional information about the New Gradebook, please visit New Gradebook Users Group and the Canvas Release: New Gradebook document.

11 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

183871_pastedImage_3.pngThank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to " modifiedtitle="true" title="Customizable Colors for Gradebook Cells &    which were submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference these idea for insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers as well.

woodsdm2
Community Contributor

I posted the original idea, so am glad to see this come up again.

However, I don't think that a feature idea and then moving through the voting process is the right process for this.  Rather, this is an existing feature of Canvas, but it doesn't work.  Additionally, it's a feature that should help with the accessibility of Canvas.  So, I think this should be treated as a bug and handled through that process.  Also, I hope that Canvas has a group that is reviewing the accessibility of Canvas on a regular schedule.  If so, I think it would also be useful for this group to look at how this functionality can be updated to help with accessibility.

When voting starts, I'll vote for this, but it seems odd to be voting on ideas that are "make the current functionality work"

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

201323_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

rwalker3
Community Novice

I find it annoying that Canvas decides how I interface with my students regarding late submissions. I believe this should be a faculty discretion item. I, for one, do not like the idea of blatant red colors over my students' grades when their submissions are late. I find this offensive and startling, which are two things I am not trying to communicate to my students. However, if other faculty want this option, I believe it should be available for their use.

cmaster
Community Novice

For those of us with varying degrees of Color blindness (and there are a lot of us), this is a big deal.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

At InstructureCon, there were some great Product Announcements‌! One of them was for Priority: Gradebook Enhancements. ...and in that was the ability to change the colors used to fill the gradebook cells on a teacher-by-teacher basis. Keep watching this idea, the priority linked above, and https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/releases?sr=search&searchId=e234e3e7-07e1-417d-935...‌ for official updates.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is in development as part of Priority: Gradebook Enhancements‌ phase 1.

Some of the phase 1 features are available for testing via the Focus Group: New Gradebook‌.  If you do not have access you can request it through your local Canvas admin or CSM (customer success manager).

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-11-06) .

For additional information about the New Gradebook, please visit New Gradebook Users Group and the Canvas Release: New Gradebook document.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New