Allow files/content/etc. to be given an availability date in the future.

0 Likes
(1)

Blackboard would allow me to prepare homework solutions (or any file really) in advance and assign it a date to be made available to the students. i.e. assign any document a publish date, so I could "pre-stage" documents.

When I contacted Canvas help, they pushed me into using Modules, which is not as easy and does not have the file I want to publish at some future date show up in the folder I want it in. 

I really am trying to be understanding, but Canvas is way to complicated. Please bring back Blackboard.

Tags (2)
5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@ctedesco 

Thanks for sharing this idea. We've moved it forward for general discussion.

It's possible that the support agent guided you toward using Modules because your institution hasn't enabled usage rights for the account. When that feature is enabled, instructors can choose to enable it in their own courses and manage file availability on the file itself according to the instructions in How do I set usage rights and user access for a course file? and How do I restrict files and folders to students in Canvas?

While this conversation takes place, consider asking your local Canvas admin to weigh the pros and cons of enabling that feature for the account.

Thanks again!

RobDitto
Community Champion

Building on @Stef_retired's suggestion, there's also a time-release capability in How do I restrict files and folders to students in Canvas? (under Schedule Student Availability). This works even without Usage Rights enabled. Some of our teachers use this regularly for distributing solutions or post-class slide decks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks, @RobDitto !

@ctedesco Would you evaluate Rob's advice and see if this resolves the issue?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived