Allow folders in Pages

(257)

The Files section of Canvas allows folders for organizing files. Pages does not. Why the awful inconsistency in the user interface? I currently have 30+ pages that I've created in - all in flat directory structure. I'd like to be able to organize them, you know, like Files and stuff I have on my computer.

Comments from Instructure

Please refer to the update from the product team here

406 Comments
JaimeBunnell
Community Novice

Yes please.  Search feature and folders!! 

JillWilcox
Community Novice

Folder to organize pages. 

cornelisonhopla
Community Member

Oh my goodness! I am working on a very robust Canvas course, and as with every other course I've designed, the page navigation for my own building purposes is SO CHALLENGING. What I have resorted to is assigning an emoji to each section so that it will at least sort by emoji so I can find things, but this is a critical missing link in Canvas for those of us who have significant content by way of articles, instructional pages, resources, etc. We need a more streamlined way to organize pages...I can't tell you the amount of time wasted scrolling through pages to find what I need for hyperlinking purposes. thank you!

Draco
Community Explorer

I would like this too!!!

sharinahmad
Community Explorer

Our other LMS platform support the creation of sub-folders! Requesting this feature to be available in Canvas too. Thanks!

alm151
Community Member

Agreed!

dbastedo
Community Participant

How is it that this comment from 2016, saying that this idea of folders in Pages is in a long term strategy, has not been implemented yet?  This seems like it is being ignored, especially since there must be code already written to put files into folders.  What not pages?

dbastedo
Community Participant

I have over 200 pages in a very complex content intensive course.  It is very frustrating scanning through that list alphabetically!

KBurnette2021
Community Member

I really, really need this feature for my class!  My current workaround is to put the files in Google Drive and share a link.  But that's not ideal - telling student to get some information on Canvas and other information in another location is confusing for the students.

dlyons
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

We are not planning to add folders to Pages.

In the short term we see the need for better navigation of the Pages Index with things like search, and sorting and filtering options. Long term, we are looking at improving organizing content (Pages and Files) which would hopefully address the need behind folders, without shoe-horning folder functionality onto an index page.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Draco
Community Explorer

Ok, so without "shoe-horning folder functionality onto an index page" as @dlyons so curtly put it, yes, there are a great many other potentially useful options available given that it is an index page.

The fact that one of the options mentioned, view filtering, such as alphabetical, by module, etc., a simple yet beneficial organizational feature, is still not implemented as a compromise after 4.5 years and 20 pages of "please do this" commentary is surprising, as is the "stop asking we'll do something when we feel like it" response and even shorter move to archive this thread.

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@hasti - if you are still paying attention.  thanks for starting this post.

@KBurnette2021 

@dbastedo @Draco @sharinahmad 

I am going to throw a tease out and say that there is a possible solution coming from a chrome extension written by a member of the community(not James).  

I do not know the time frame when it will be released, but it is currently being tested for bugs so that it is much cleaner once it becomes available.

Draco
Community Explorer

I'd use a workaround in Chrome, thanks to whoever is coding it! If you don't mind, please keep me in the loop @Ron_Bowman, I have a lot of pages, and need a sorting solution. Right now I'm doing as someone else suggested, and that is to use a unicode symbol/emoji out front to sort by module, but it's not ideal.

dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

Canvas Page Folders Extension

As indicated by @Ron_Bowman above, a Chrome extension solution to support folder organisation of page links has been worked out, with ample support and beta testing by the same @Ron_Bowman . We think it is now ready to be tested by a wider circle of users. Please watch this video for a demonstration of the features. Please report bugs here or to the email address linked to on the extension options page.

Link to extension (also linked from video description) https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/canvas-page-folders/oedghiclldgapmpgcplfjjfdkfehlkpp

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@dan_baeckstrom 

Glad to see it posted.  

I wanted to point out that this extension works really well with organizing the page view for instructors - remember it is just your view of the pages it does not affect anything with the Canvas information.

Some of what Dan has programmed into this extension is neat and I will find it useful in a lot of my courses.  Keep in mind that Dan and I have done a lot of testing, but I doubt that all the bugs have been worked out.  It should work well with basic use of the extension.

Pass this information along to everyone you know that has been wanting this functionality.  

@Draco  @Stef_retired 
@dlyons  @hasti  @KBurnette2021  @dbastedo  @sharinahmad 

The extension is finally here. 

Estefania
Community Explorer

Agreed! As some others are saying, I do not give students access to Pages, but the folders are sorely missed. Not only for my own benefit, but for students' sake, as this has consequences for the pages' visibility. For example, if I want to have an index page called "Contents" n each of my Modules, I have to call them Contents 1, Contents 2 or some other variation, as I cannot otherwise have two pages with the same name - it adds to the visual clutter.

Hagstrom
Community Member

Folders in Pages are ESSENTIAL to effective organization in a course that has lots and lots of material.  I can't understand why Canvas would be resistant to a common request from the Community that would make their product so much more user friendly. 

SitiAminah
Community Member

Thank you for sharing

christopher_phi
Community Champion

Potentially of interest: 

Feedback Opportunity: Test the Prototype for "Content"

An early prototype of a way to organize content that allows for the organization of pages into folders. There is a prototype there than anyone who is interested can give feedback on.