Allow for upload of large files over assignment deadlines

0 Likes

We've got some students who are submitting rather large files for assignments (over 1GB). The problem is that some of them have slow network connections which mean that it's taking them a long time to upload the files. Would it be possible to do one (or both) of the following:

1) Have the ability to extend the deadline for the assignment (potentially only by a couple of hours) without announcing that the deadline has changed so that we can cater for people who have slow network connections.

2) Provide a mechanism (option when setting up an assignment) that allows files that have started to upload before the deadline to continue uploading.

cheers,

Steve..

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@nasm3 

Thanks for sharing this idea. As it moves forward for broader discussion, I'll share the tactic I employed successfully when I was teaching students who often struggled with slow internet speeds and also waited until the very last moment to start uploading their files: I set an available until time for all assignments requiring file uploads that was 10 minutes after the due date time. Students always focused on the due date, but didn't run into an obstacle when their files took longer to finish uploading than they had anticipated. While 10 minutes worked well for my course activities, you might consider giving them a bigger cushion when the files are likely to be as large as 1GB.

nasm3
Community Novice

Thanks Stefanie,

If I understand correctly does that mean that if I've set the available until to 23:59 (deadline 16:30) then they'll have till 23:59 to upload the file?

cheers,

steve..

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived