Allow individual extension for a student in an assignment

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas  Learn more about voting...
  Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Individual students often need a few more days to complete an assignment (not a quiz) and currently there is no way to grant individuals extensions to the deadline without affecting the whole class.

We need to be able to select an individual in an assignment and give them an extension of n=X days before their submission gets marked as late.

Response from Instructure

Canvas Studio: Differentiated Assignments

54 Comments
manojkamra
Community Novice

In one MOOC course on GIS, today there is lab assignment submission deadline and result will take at least one month time for evaluating lab assignments.

I need time extension of 2 days for submission of lab assignment which will hardly affect schedule of the final result. Other MOOCs permit time extension on deduction of marks normally 10%. So on deduction of marks for giving time extension will be balanced --benefitting regular participants who submitted within time.

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

stefaniesanders Deactivated user​

Are the guides correct? See my post at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2630#comment-15095

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @joel_mills  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @kmeeusen ​,  @kroeninm ​,  @s_d_duke ​, DRBROOKS​, stefaniesanders​,  @tdelillo ​,  @r_v_jones ​, keh2294​, dperpich​, vrs07nl​,  @kona ​ & Deactivated user  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! Smiley Happy

joel_mills
Community Novice

Yay... do I get a badge Smiley Happy

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hey  @joel_mills 

You totally got a badge!  Smiley Happy  I can see it on the Missions tab in your profile.

joel_mills
Community Novice

Now look what has happened... you have got me all gamified and chasing badges!!!

I only see 3 badges and the ROI badge doesn't look like it has been awarded... Smiley Sad

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Oh, you have many more than three badges, Joel.  Your badge set is quite impressive actually.  Smiley Happy  I think what you may be seeing is the "Me in 3" badges, which are the three badges you can choose to have displayed when someone mouses over your name.  You can see the full badge set by viewing Missions in your profile:

2017-01-09_0848

joel_mills
Community Novice

Ahhh I see... It looks like many of my badges are not complete... so That was why I was thinking I only had 3 badges. I only get 3 to choose from in Me in 3!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New