Allow individual extension for a student in an assignment

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas  Learn more about voting...
  Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Individual students often need a few more days to complete an assignment (not a quiz) and currently there is no way to grant individuals extensions to the deadline without affecting the whole class.

We need to be able to select an individual in an assignment and give them an extension of n=X days before their submission gets marked as late.

Response from Instructure

Canvas Studio: Differentiated Assignments

54 Comments
vrs07nl
Community Contributor

I am confused by the thread. Is this new feature simply going to allow individual extensions within any given assignment without affecting the rest of the cohort/ class? if not what will it do?

when will it be released?

kona
Community Champion

vrs07nl​, in the release notes from Scott's post - Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-05-26) - it talks about Differentiate Assignments by Individual (so yes, this feature idea) and how it works. For the timeline of when beta features will go into production see the following - What is the Canvas release schedule for beta, production, and test environments?

And last, for more information about the Release notes and how to subscribe to them see - All about Canvas Release Notes

Hope this helps!

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

thank you - I am aware of release dates and am subscribed to the release notes already/

I also get and have read the beta release note you mention

However the title/ description used in that note  ('differentiated assignments') is not the same as / does not clearly equate to this feature request ... hence my confusion or lack of experience in dealing with canvas-speak

kona
Community Champion

Ah, that  makes sense! I think the language doesn't match because this an outgrowth of "differentiated assignments" (for sections). And you are correct, in the release notes it didn't fully articulate everything this allows/does. Sorry I didn't realize this, I've already been in playing with this feature in Beta and it absolutely allows you to not only assign something to a specific student (or students), but it also has the flexibility for you to extend out dates for a specific student while retaining the original dates for the rest of the class. Smiley Happy

s_d_duke
Community Novice

This sounds great! Looking forward to having a look/play.

Does this extend to the muted/un-muted status of the assignment - i.e. can the assignment be un-muted per individual student?

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

Thanks Kona for update on what the feature does . Unfortunately I do not have time to look at beta at present .

Will the user guides be clearer and have tags such as individual assessment extension rather than differentiated assignment .. so easy to find and use

kona
Community Champion

It doesn't appear to have a specific mute setting, but if the assignment is only for one student my testing shows that the assignment only shows up for that student. So, students who aren't listed on an assignment (or to have access to an assignment) do not see or are able to access the assignment. Does that help?

kona
Community Champion

I'm sure the guides will be much clearer in regards to exactly how this feature works, but I'm not sure about the tags.

@Renee_Carney ​ - do you know the answer to this question?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi vrs07nl

As Kona pointed out the guides should meet your needs to learn this new feature!

When it comes to tagging of documents our docs team is continuously adding tags to improve search results.  'individual assessment' is an interesting potential tag here and I'm sure allifoote​ and erinhallmark​ will take this into consideration.

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

Dear Kona

Seeing as you are in beta testing ( thanks!) what do your tests show if have assignment with more than one student ( this is relevant as we do not use sections)?

thanks

Nicola