[Modules] Allow instructor to change default so modules post to TOP of feed

I make my Modules the home page for my students, and I like for them to see the most recent information first.  As it is now, the default is for new modules and content to post to the bottom of the feed, which means I have to scroll all of the way to the bottom and Move Module to the top every single time I create a new module.  I'd love to be able to customize this feature so that all of my new module content automatically posts to the top so my kids always see newest first and I don't have to spend time scrolling!  It's a small thing, but I post an average of 5-6 assignments in one module a week, so as the year goes on, it gets tedious!

45 Comments
LJohnson35
Community Novice

I agree! It would make Canvas more user friendly for younger grades!

kurt_h_richter
Community Member

If you go to the design tools and choose advanced elements and then the module list.

Next click the check mark to Add and configure module list and +add all modules

Finally go to insert quick link and choose all

This will display all module titles on the home page as little buttons.  When they click on the button, it will show all assignments in that module.  I put the date on each module title, so it's easy for them to just click on the button for that day or a day they have missed. 

donnahunter
Community Explorer

Where is this mysterious "design tools" area you speak of?

kurt_h_richter
Community Member

So that's a whole other rabbit hole that has a learning curve to it.  Go to edit a page in canvas and little rocket will appear in the top right- hand corner.  Clicking that open the design tools.  If the rocket isn't there, clicking alt+shift+D will open it up.

donnahunter
Community Explorer

Does not seem to be the case for me. Perhaps my district has that feature turned off.

KM2020
Community Member

I am not sure if Canvas listened to us or this function has always been there!  Today, after tediously moving a new module to the top of the page, I decided to check.  When you create a new module, it definitely goes to the end of the page and populates at the bottom. But if you click on the 3 dots next to the new module, there is an up and down arrow that says "Move Module."  If you click on that a window opens and you can choose to move it up.  Yay!!  I am so happy.  Thank you Canvas for listening to us!!

donnahunter
Community Explorer

I'm not sure how new that is either, but it still isn't defaulting to posting them at the top.

KM2020
Community Member

So donnahunter, you are right.  It still does not post on the top as a default.  When you create a module, it does post at the bottom of the list.  What I would usually do is click and drag all the way up, which was tedious. 

But now I go to the new assignment at the bottom of the page, click on the 3 dots, click on the "Move Module" (up-down arrow) and when the window opens, I choose "Move to top" and it goes to the top.  I do not have to manually drag it to the top.  Hope this helps.

donnahunter
Community Explorer

Yes, 3 dots is easier than dragging. But it's still at least 3 clicks and default to top would be better.

isanchez2
Community Novice

YES PLEASE!  The extra step to 'move module' to the the top doesn't take too long, but any time saved is precious!