[Modules] Allow instructor to change default so modules post to TOP of feed

I make my Modules the home page for my students, and I like for them to see the most recent information first.  As it is now, the default is for new modules and content to post to the bottom of the feed, which means I have to scroll all of the way to the bottom and Move Module to the top every single time I create a new module.  I'd love to be able to customize this feature so that all of my new module content automatically posts to the top so my kids always see newest first and I don't have to spend time scrolling!  It's a small thing, but I post an average of 5-6 assignments in one module a week, so as the year goes on, it gets tedious!

45 Comments
biamab
Community Member

Having new modules that are created and added go automatically to the top would be ideal and user friendly for all that use Canvas.  If this feature can be added, that would be awesome.  

rmackie
Community Novice

Please honor this request. It makes sense...and it's annoying.

blemen
Community Novice

There should be a way to change the settings, so that teachers who want the newest modules to load at the top, can choose that option.

It's time consuming to have to click and move a module to the top every. single. time.

Far more time than it has taken me to figure out how to register and submit this request.

Please and thanks!

cweiner
Community Novice

Yes, I agree.  We should be able to choose to have newest modules go automatically to the top (that should be the default anyway; I'm guessing most would prefer that).  When is this happening?  It does not seem like too hard a fix...

gnoack
Community Champion

In my experience, most faculty want the course ordered sequentially.  And as other's have said, it's more complicated than just placing the module at the top to begin with. It would be confusing for using the module requirements and prerequisites as well as the next buttons to move through content. 

Anyway, instead of scrolling to move a module from the bottom to the top, just use the "Move to" tool in the module. You can move the bottom module to the top with just a couple of clicks. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-move-or-reorder-a-module/ta-p/1150

jamin_hoffman
Community Explorer

Yes, yes, yes!  I do this, too, and would really appreciate this addition!

MsAnderSCI
Community Member

PLEASE! This makes my life such a pain, if you copy modules you then have to scroll through 50 of them to get to the bottom to click to --move it and then ---move it to the top. Even with them all collapsed since we have daily modules, it is INSANE and is so incredibly clicky. If you could PLEASE just offer the ability to change the default to TOP instead of BOTTOM. You really would CHANGE MY LIFE!!

DaveWaldrop
Community Member

Yes please make this happen!  Thanks.

jamin_hoffman
Community Explorer

While I would still like for this change/addition to happen, I do want to point out the suggestion posted by @gnoack above:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-move-or-reorder-a-module/ta-p/1150

Once you create (and scroll down to) the new module, you can just click on the three vertical dots on the right side, and select "Move module" to move it to the top.  I had missed this procedure, before, and it has made things a lot easier since I discovered it!

Moving_modules.png

ptstrand
Community Member

Like other contributors, I would find it incredibly useful to have new modules start at the top, rather than at the bottom. Please consider making this change, or at least allowing teachers to change this placement in the settings. I teach young kids, and I want them to see the week's opportunities first, rather than way down below. 

Likewise, is there a way to have class discussions work similarly? As far as I can tell, what student contributors see first is the first contribution, rather than the latest contribution. In order to find new posts, the reader must drag to the bottom.