[Modules] Allow instructor to change default so modules post to TOP of feed

I make my Modules the home page for my students, and I like for them to see the most recent information first.  As it is now, the default is for new modules and content to post to the bottom of the feed, which means I have to scroll all of the way to the bottom and Move Module to the top every single time I create a new module.  I'd love to be able to customize this feature so that all of my new module content automatically posts to the top so my kids always see newest first and I don't have to spend time scrolling!  It's a small thing, but I post an average of 5-6 assignments in one module a week, so as the year goes on, it gets tedious!

45 Comments
hito
Community Explorer

I agree with everyone. Teachers should be able to choose between Top to Bottom or Bottom to Top module set ups. I've always manually rearranged modules from Bottom to Top, but I've come across a problem that I cannot work around. I cannot add pre-requisites because Canvas won't allow you to choose a module that is below. (Because it assumes that the module is in the future). So if you do Bottom to Top arrangement, Pre-requisites don't work. This is dumb. 

Hello Canvas Developers, are you listening to us? 

kurt_h_richter
Community Member

"Hello Canvas Developers, are you listening to us? "

No.  That's why I abandoned linking modules together.  Great idea, but I can't implement it until they actually care about the very limitations you are describing.

They have had the whole "submit your ideas" schtick since I've worked with the system.   Nice people for sure, but they shine us on about any changes.  They have these "most requested items" that are the same year to year to year.  However, there really isn't an incentive for them to make the change...it's not like the folks who purchase this for schools care about the order of module lists.

As a consequence, we can ask for changes and submit requests, but that's just to make us feel like we're doing something.  Sorry that's so cynical.  You'd think, if quality of the teacher experience was the focus, they could make a change like this or at least say it ain't ever gonna happen.

cooleycooley
Community Novice

Not sure how these things work, but I voted this 5 stars and am commenting to voice my support for the idea as well.

I understand that "most-recent-module-on-top" doesn't work for everyone, but PLEASE at least give us the option!  I've been wanting this for YEARS, as have many other users, as evidenced by the countless times this request is posted and upvoted, and I am very disappointed that Canvas has done nothing about it.

TheJamesKelley
Community Member

Please allow for us to choose where we want new modules to be placed in the overall list of modules.  Having it default to the bottom (and having that as the only option) is problematic for those of us who want the new modules to always be at the top of the list.  By Module 20+ the move upward takes forever, and if we use blueprints then we have to make this move for multiple sections.

MichaelQuesnell
Community Novice

This would be incredibly helpful!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

AndreaWitt
Community Novice

YES!!!!!!! Putting it at the bottom is very inconvenient for both students and teachers!

RichardKinsey
Community Explorer

Yes!

TiffanyVickers
Community Member

This is still an ongoing issue and I'm not sure why Canvas has not fixed this. There should be a setting so people can set it to what they prefer. Then, those that prefer it to post at the bottom and have a pre-created course that's fine (college, upper classes), but for middle and elementary school we should have the option of new modules posting to the top because it is not conducive to build the whole course ahead of time, based on what the kids need, for in-person classes (this most are not all virtual anymore.

Thanks!

KM2020
Community Member

I believe this was fixed a long time back.  We can now click on "Move Modules" and move the new module to the top.