Allow instructors to submit assignments on behalf of students

0 Likes
(3)

I would like to have the ability to upload assignments on behalf of students so they can be graded using the Speedgrader and evaluated by Turnitin. This might be because students have submitted to the wrong assignment or because they email me directly with their assignment. Better yet, would be the ability to transfer the submission from one assignment to the other, rather than downloading and then re-uploading.

I don't believe there are significant pedagogical issues here, at least at the University level. This is would simply be a very useful convenience to fix errors on the part of students without having to track them down via email (i.g. herding cats).

This idea is present as an "idea conversation" and has been active since 2015 (!!) with no action. I am posting it here in the hope there will be a voting option.

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@may027 

Thanks for sharing this idea. The original request from 2015 remains actively monitored by our product teams and is open for conversation, so please click on the star modal to add your rating to Submit an assignment on behalf of a student - Canvas Community. Idea conversations do not use a "voting" system. We've archived this one to keep the existing thread unified.

may027
Community Participant

Thanks. I gather the voting system is gone?

Anyway, it seems strange to me that there are only 58 “star ratings” here but over 200 (mainly supportive) comments. Maybe people don’t know how this works (I didn’t) or maybe previous “up votes” were not carried over?
Thanks.

Edit: looking through the comments (most recent ones) many posters indicate they are looking for the "up vote" button. I think it is pretty clear than many didn't get the memo about these changes to the Infrastructure forums. If this idea needs a certain number of "star" ratings to get the attention of developers then I think it needs to be made clear somehow that people should be clicking on that star rating. I see the help links on the right-hand menu but maybe there needs to be something explicit right next to the stars.
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@may027 Yes, we posted a blog about the forthcoming changes a few weeks before the mid-August migration: Community Feedback and Communication - Canvas Community and posted responses to user questions about the change here Solved: Idea vote counts - Canvas Community