Allow mailto links in Help Menu

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. December 7, 2016 - Wed. March 1, 2017  Learn more about voting...

Prior to the Help Menu receiving an upgrade, we were able to add a mailto link so an item in the Help Menu could be linked to an email address, but that is no longer an option. For example, we previously used this function to report content errors and that link sent you directly to the appropriate email address for reporting. This is no longer available and we have had to create a page in Canvas that this can link to and it is much less efficient.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-07)

18 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi jtorres​...

We also have used a "mailto:" for an e-mail address.  We haven't made any changes to this, and ours is still working in our "Help" menu.  Have you reached out to the Instructure Help Desk staff to see if they might be of assistance?

jtorres1
Community Contributor

Hi Chris,

I am waiting to hear back. I edited the mailto we add and discovered that it was no longer an option. Don't make any edits to yours!

Thanks for your help!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hey Jennifer,

I'm going to move this idea into "Awaiting Response" status until we hear back on this.  Please feel free to ping us if you are not getting a response.

jtorres1
Community Contributor

Hi Scott,

My CSM team at Canvas emailed me back to say they are unable to add the mailto feature back in. Essentially, the functionality is there for anyone who linked to a mailto prior to the update and hasn't made any edits, but when I tried to update the email address our mailto link pointed to it disabled the feature. Is this something we can get back? My current work around is a page I created in Canvas that has a hyperlink to the email address and my Help menu link points to that page - it works, but it isn't ideal especially since the mailto option is such an easy fix.

Thanks!

jtorres1
Community Contributor

Any updates on this end? My CSM team is unable to assist.

Thanks everyone!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  After checking internally we'll need to advance this as a feature idea in the next round of voting.

jtorres1
Community Contributor

stefaniesanders, is this something that has to be submitted as a feature idea since it was previously in place and seems to have been removed in error?

Thanks!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Jennifer,

Yes, this would need to be a new feature idea.

Thanks

SD

rake_9
Community Champion

We have the built-in "Report a Problem" link delivered to our support email address.  Would that do the trick? Or do you need two support channels?  This routing was something our CSM did for us.

jtorres1
Community Contributor

Hi Valerie,

Our CSM tried to create a link for us, but since Canvas no longer allows a mailto since they upgraded the Help menu they suggested I create a page in Canvas that has the email address I would like the "Report a Problem" link to direct to since it has to be a URL (which is what we have done). No one is having an issue if they have not updated their mailto link, but once you try to update it the option will no longer be available and pages will need to be created. If anyone has a work around I am all ears.

Thanks!