[Student Grades] Allow "Calculate based only on Graded Assignment" Default Status to be set by Institution

By default, the "Calculate based only on graded assignments" box is checked for all students in their individual grades view.  In the K-12 arena, this creates much confusion when a student is missing assignments and still appears to have a perfect grade because they did well on early assignments.  While I understand that we can train students and parents to uncheck the box, it would save many headaches and much confusion if as an organization, we could set the default for this box to unchecked and instead train students and parents to check it if they wanted to see their grade that way.  I also understand that teachers could in theory enter zeroes, but in some institutions (like ours) entering zeroes for missing assignments is frowned upon or against policy.

181179_Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 11.56.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-28 at 11.56.12 AM.png

I know some institutions probably like this box, and so I am just proposing an option in the root level settings that would allow institutions to set the value of this check box to either checked or unchecked by default based on their organization's preference (rather than it being set to only checked by default).  Students would still be able to individually check or uncheck the box, but this feature is just proposing that institutions be able to choose the default setting.

Added to Theme

37 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @mlattke ​

Very few Canvas features generate as much confusion as this one, and "Treat Ungraded Items as Zero",

There is a very similar (almost identical) archive feature idea at that you may want to review for further insights.

I am going to recommend that this idea be opened for voting during the next voting period.

In the meantime you may want to learn how to champion this idea and more at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

KLM

mlattke
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @kmeeusen ,

I'm familiar with the other feature request, and I had asked about resubmitting it at the end of the thread.  I felt like this request was slightly different because as I read the thread it seemed like the original one was asking for the checkbox to be removed.  I am instead asking for the option to control the default value of the checkbox at the institutional level, providing an organization with more options, not less.

I have talked to several other schools who have shared this feeling on this checkbox, so I will do my best to champion it once it opens.

Thanks a bunch!

Michelle

kmeeusen
Community Champion

@mlattke ​

Yes, I also noted that difference when I reviewed the archived idea. Between the two, I think I like your idea better. If we had that option, I would use it. I think the feature actually has very limited value, and that value is far overridden by the confusion is causes both teachers and students. I believe I was also a voter in favor of that original idea. But by setting the default to off, faculty would still have the choice to turn it on if they want. I like choices too.

Thanks for getting back to me, and you can count on my vote!

KLM

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thank you Michelle and Kelley.  I will set this idea to open next Wednesday with the next cohort to open for vote.

mlattke
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks Scott!

sboldt
Community Novice

Kelly, I'm not sure if you are asking for this default option to be set at the institutional level or at the course level. I would not be in favor at the course level for the following reason: students in multiple courses would see their grade default two different ways. One course would have the option turned off while another course would have the option turned on.This would add more misinterpretation to an already muddled issue.

Although I don't understand why an instructor would not report a grade of zero for a student who hadn't completed an assignment, along with a comment stating "assignment on submitted" to provide immediate feedback to the students, and in some cases the parent; I could vote for the setting to be a choice at the institutional, not course, level.

Sarah

cheidt
Community Novice

I am sorry that I just saw this idea available for voting. I've passed it along to numerous parties in hopes they will vote it up in the short number of days left in this voting period.

Our courses are self-paced and the way the current default functions causes many many students to believe they have finished their course completely when in fact they have failed to submit one or more assignments. We would love to be able to set the default at our institution level. Thank you for submitting this Michelle! I wish I knew of a way to get the word out to more people! @mlattke ​, who can we champion this idea to? Numbers have gone up significantly in the past 24 hours but I don't know if we will hit the minimum 100 to keep it alive...

snugent
Community Champion

I agree that this feature is confusing and it would be nice to be able to set the default at the admin level. However, my biggest issue with this feature is the checkbox and text is very small and located on the right sidebar with larger text above and below it which makes it difficult to find it. I would like to see this feature displayed more prominently in the interface.

crh57
Community Novice

Although the voting shows that 3 'Voted Down', I think those votes were registered as part of the Jive bug. Can they be added to the Up tally instead?

Note from another Feature Item:

Scott Dennis   @ Jason Parodi on Jul 30, 2016 7:19 PM

Hey Jason and Susan,

Yep, that is a known bug in Jive that it sometimes randomly down votes when you click up vote.  You can just click up again to change your vote.  They have identified a fix and it will be deployed soon.  Sorry for the inconvenience in the interim.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hey Connie,

The people who down voted (maybe accidentally, maybe not) can come back anytime and change their votes (as can those with current up votes I suppose).  If it ends up looking like the count could hinge on that few votes we'll contact the nay sayers to make sure of their intentions.