[Student Grades] Allow "Calculate based only on Graded Assignment" Default Status to be set by Institution

By default, the "Calculate based only on graded assignments" box is checked for all students in their individual grades view.  In the K-12 arena, this creates much confusion when a student is missing assignments and still appears to have a perfect grade because they did well on early assignments.  While I understand that we can train students and parents to uncheck the box, it would save many headaches and much confusion if as an organization, we could set the default for this box to unchecked and instead train students and parents to check it if they wanted to see their grade that way.  I also understand that teachers could in theory enter zeroes, but in some institutions (like ours) entering zeroes for missing assignments is frowned upon or against policy.

181179_Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 11.56.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-28 at 11.56.12 AM.png

I know some institutions probably like this box, and so I am just proposing an option in the root level settings that would allow institutions to set the value of this check box to either checked or unchecked by default based on their organization's preference (rather than it being set to only checked by default).  Students would still be able to individually check or uncheck the box, but this feature is just proposing that institutions be able to choose the default setting.

Added to Theme

37 Comments
cheidt
Community Novice

Hey Scott, the last time I looked (1:04 pm 8/3) this feature item showed 6 votes down. Only 2 names show in the expansion of that list, and both are instructors with eCornell. Neither intended to vote down, and have tried to correct their votes. Thank you for keeping this in mind before reaching a final decision on this item, as voting ends today I believe. Thank you for reaching out to nay sayers, if the count is close.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

195586_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

achelonis
Community Novice

How do I resubmit this?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Ashley,

You can copy the text of the idea, edit it to update or expand on the description and then submit it as a new idea.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process.   It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.  

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

sylvia_schnopp
Community Member

Hi Ashley! Does this constitute as sending you a message to get a badge?

garth
Community Champion

I do agree that there is confusion around this option in Canvas.

In my opinion, having the option at all is what makes it confusing.  

Perhaps the answer is to simply remove the option, and allow students/parents to focus on "what if" grades.

loisz
Community Novice

This sounds like a good idea! Glad you are going to resubmit it! Smiley Happy

Lois

j_c_turner
Community Contributor

hi  @biray ‌

Can you help me get this one out for voting again. We are recent adopters, and it just makes sense for our students to see the total grade first. I'm sure some of the newbies following behind will also need this to help students understand what they are looking at in the grades area. It would remove any chance of a misunderstanding.

Ta

Jim

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@j_c_turner , this idea is still open for voting at this writing. (Don't be deterred by the date header; it indicates the voting window in which the idea was originally submitted and assessed; it was reopened for voting in February 2017.)