[Gradebook] Allow "Display As" Options for Final Grade and Assignment Groups

We are in need of flexibility in displaying final grades and assignment groups similar to the way that individual assignments have flexibility in the way they display. For example, I would like the option to have a numerical average for total display and/or letter grade as a total display. So, if I have 3 assignments where a student scores a 3 in each assignment, that would be an average of 3. I would like "3" to display in the assignment groups column rather than 75%. Similarly, I would like the option to have a letter grade display, so if a student has 10/10 points in the assignment group, it would display as "A" instead of 100%. See screenshot below.

171612_Assignment Groups in Canvas (1).pngAssignment Groups in Canvas (1).png

The screenshot below is for configuring the display of an individual assignment. I would like to see a similar dropdown exist in the Assignment Groups configuration for a course. This would allow for some needed flexibility with regards to reporting when using non-traditional grading schemes in a course. Canvas is so close to "finishing the job" with allowing for flexible reporting. Please put this feature in, so we can truly use the grading schemes and individual assignment displays to their fullest extent.

171607_Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 10.36.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-02-22 at 10.36.41 AM.png

Kristi Levy Timothy Kohl Heather Kangas Tom Anfinson, please spread the word.

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

71 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for submitting this feature idea! Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea.

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016! Smiley Wink

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

corey_jeffers
Community Novice

I'm glad to see some votes coming in. This one is big for K-12 because many teachers, schools, and districts are going towards or have gone towards proficiency reporting through standards-based and competency-based instruction. Seems a bit petty, but there may be a few hundred teachers in our district alone who may opt out of beginning with Canvas because the gradebook assignment groups cannot report by proficiency without converting everything to a percentage. The mastery learning section is awesome and it does a great job of tracking individual outcomes; however, the gradebook really needs some reporting flexibility to keep assignment scores consistent with final grades.

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I have a Grading Schemes project that I'm working on right now. It's in the design phase, so it's not going to make it to production in the immediate future, but I can see this as a great addition to that project. I will add this to my list of problems to tackle with that project. Thanks for submitting the idea!

corey_jeffers
Community Novice

Thanks, Deactivated user​! Does this mean it's likely to happen eventually??? Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Potentially, yes. Smiley Happy

wturgeon
Community Explorer

I would like to see this option as well.

RobDitto
Community Champion

I'm glad you saw a connection to a future project, Deactivated user​! There was solid support for ​ recently; that archived idea's discussion might also relate to the concerns discussed here.

kathleen_stepha
Community Member

@Renee_Carney ​ I'm wondering if there is any update on this idea as we are planning professional development for the fall.  It would be great if this would be complete for September.

spowell
Community Novice

I would prefer if my students simply saw the weighted letter grades I give for all assignments and exams as opposed to any numbers, percentages or background calculations. This simply removes any temptation to negotiate a 'rounded up' grade. Blackboard allowed for this option and I would like to have it Canvas.