[Gradebook] Allow "Display As" Options for Final Grade and Assignment Groups

We are in need of flexibility in displaying final grades and assignment groups similar to the way that individual assignments have flexibility in the way they display. For example, I would like the option to have a numerical average for total display and/or letter grade as a total display. So, if I have 3 assignments where a student scores a 3 in each assignment, that would be an average of 3. I would like "3" to display in the assignment groups column rather than 75%. Similarly, I would like the option to have a letter grade display, so if a student has 10/10 points in the assignment group, it would display as "A" instead of 100%. See screenshot below.

171612_Assignment Groups in Canvas (1).pngAssignment Groups in Canvas (1).png

The screenshot below is for configuring the display of an individual assignment. I would like to see a similar dropdown exist in the Assignment Groups configuration for a course. This would allow for some needed flexibility with regards to reporting when using non-traditional grading schemes in a course. Canvas is so close to "finishing the job" with allowing for flexible reporting. Please put this feature in, so we can truly use the grading schemes and individual assignment displays to their fullest extent.

171607_Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 10.36.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-02-22 at 10.36.41 AM.png

Kristi Levy Timothy Kohl Heather Kangas Tom Anfinson, please spread the word.

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

71 Comments
swatts
Community Participant

I like the "display as" idea. Our schools would prefer the grade be displayed as a whole number. We should have this option.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Fast forward two years......

mmikulski
Community Novice

Don't you mean, 'slow forward'? Smiley Wink I'm also surprised (or maybe, to be more

true to my feelings, I'm not surprised)... that this simple

feature/improvement continues to languish.

adam_zolkover
Community Participant

I wanted to circle around to this idea. Any chance it will make it into New Gradebook? Being able to hide numerical grades, and only display grading scheme 'letters,' would be really helpful for our non-credit learners.

mmikulski
Community Novice

Adam, there has been a lot of users circling back to this stalled feature

request, and no real motion from Canvas. I either think 1) Its somehow

technically way more complicated, than we are imagining it to be. Doesn't

seem so likely; I've coded some stuff before, and they have all kinds of

hide/show type options at present, for other things... or 2) They just

don't think this is important, to many of their K-12 customers. You and I

can assure them that it is, but I'm not sure where they'll go from there...

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 11:50 AM adam.zolkover@gmail.com <

spowell
Community Novice

I have asked for this feature on several occasions and I am also perplexed as to why there has been no action on this issue. I issue letter grades. However, when students see a combination of letter, percentage and points it is not only confusing but encourages continual 'negotiations' over grades.

Best wishes,

Shezwae Powell

Department Chair, Theater Arts

Mt San Jacinto College

Menifee Valley Campus

951-639-5793

spowell@msjc.edu

steven_chicurel
Community Member

My thoughts exactly!  While I have grading rubrics for classes (and I teach in the performing arts, where SOME of the grading (aesthetics, etc.) is somewhat subjective) and have for years, students who were satisfied with the "A" or "B" they EARNED (and UCF recognizes letter grades tied to grade points), now I have even some of my strongest students trying to negotiate a 95 up to a 99 or even 100!

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Ive written a blogpost about my frustrations...

steven_chicurel
Community Member

Exactly!!

GideonWilliams
Community Champion