[Gradebook] Allow "Display As" Options for Final Grade and Assignment Groups

We are in need of flexibility in displaying final grades and assignment groups similar to the way that individual assignments have flexibility in the way they display. For example, I would like the option to have a numerical average for total display and/or letter grade as a total display. So, if I have 3 assignments where a student scores a 3 in each assignment, that would be an average of 3. I would like "3" to display in the assignment groups column rather than 75%. Similarly, I would like the option to have a letter grade display, so if a student has 10/10 points in the assignment group, it would display as "A" instead of 100%. See screenshot below.

171612_Assignment Groups in Canvas (1).pngAssignment Groups in Canvas (1).png

The screenshot below is for configuring the display of an individual assignment. I would like to see a similar dropdown exist in the Assignment Groups configuration for a course. This would allow for some needed flexibility with regards to reporting when using non-traditional grading schemes in a course. Canvas is so close to "finishing the job" with allowing for flexible reporting. Please put this feature in, so we can truly use the grading schemes and individual assignment displays to their fullest extent.

171607_Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 10.36.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-02-22 at 10.36.41 AM.png

Kristi Levy Timothy Kohl Heather Kangas Tom Anfinson, please spread the word.

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

71 Comments
spowell
Community Novice

Instructors need to have a full range of options for how their students see their grades. Personally I would like to have the option in the grade book for my students to simply see the weighted letter grades I give for all assignments and exams as opposed to any numbers, percentages or background calculations. This removes any temptation to negotiate a 'rounded up' grade. Showing letters, points and percentages all at the same time can be confusing. 

wturgeon
Community Explorer

Agreed!  When a student sees a grade of 89.7 or even 89.4, they are compelled to bargain to get it up to a 90.  Now, I do not want to negate any option to show that percentile or score but the option to hide it in favor of showing just a letter grade (or just a point value) would be a great enhancement.  So anyone who wants all calculations to be shown should be allowed to have that as well as have the option to choose what value is displayed for any given entered or calculated grade.

de_millington
Community Contributor

I would like to take this a step further and ask for the option to add more than one letter per graded assignment. In UK Further Education, the BTEC qualification demands scores with a combination of Pass (P), Merit (M) and Distinction (D). A schema could be used to convert those Letters to a percentage, and that's a viable option, but then that would also be disadvantages for the reasons outlined above.

Current Canvas requirements for converting P, M&Ds to points or percentages demand they must be entered one per column (one per assignment). While Canvas permits the creation of a rubric with multiple letters, it will not convert scores in that format.

When UK FE teachers mark the BTEC scoring system using Blackboard, however, they tend to use multiple combinations of the P,M & Ds per column and it permits this format. For example a Rubric could be designed along the following schema:

DDD

100%

to 63%

DDM

< 63%

to 62%

DDP

< 62%

to 61%

DMD

< 61%

to 59%

DMM

< 59%

to 58%

A letter scoring system of any combination is vital to running Canvas Grade book in the UK FE system. Most instructors, marking the BTEC qual. will find the current grading schema of limited use.

de_millington
Community Contributor

To be absolutely clear on my previous post, it would also be great to permit just text entries

DDD

DDM

DDP

DMD

DMM

s_donnison
Community Novice

I agree with Dave on this one, to ensure all staff in our college positively engage and continue to develop the use of Canvass with their students, especially the grades / tracking tool we must have flexibility to record the grades of our students in the format the awarding body specifies. In addition this process must be easy and intuitive to set up, run and monitor. Staff will disengage if this is not in place.

wvinton
Community Novice

Displaying a numerical value adjacent to a letter indicator defeats the entire purpose of the letter indicator, which in my case is to encourage students to think about their level of mastery. If a number appears, the conversation quickly turns to "what do I need to do to get a 90" instead of "what do I need to do to strengthen my writing?".  I understand and accept that numerical values may be present "underneath" the letter symbols (though I have some further thoughts on that), but I definitely do NOT want numerical values displayed next to the letter symbols. This should be an incredibly easy fix.

wturgeon
Community Explorer

I completely agree here and for all the same reasons. Blackboard allows

users to choose number, letter, or both. Canvas should definitely

implement this suggestion.

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 8:39 AM, wvinton@stjlabs.com <instructure@jiveon.com

corey_jeffers
Community Novice

Amen! I would like parents who are viewing this information to come at it in a similar way. Let's try to have the students improve a particular skill rather than chase a grade point average.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Again as a school running a UK curriculum, we would like to have the opportunity of simply adding in a Grade with not 'out of' feature or unnecessary (score) in brackets.

We would like to see this option for any assignment submitted not just the total!

Running GCSEs, BTECs and A-Levels all of our staff would like the option just to enter a letter grade - especially as scales may change from activity to activity.

We would also like the opportunity to put in Predicted and Target Grades that the students can see at the start of the gradebook. These are grades that teachers enter that give students an indication of where they are heading.

I don't know if this is particularly a UK aspect?

The gradebook design seems currently to be set up with a particular system in mind which does not translate well outside of North America.

rschulze
Community Member

Yes!  Blackboard's model is ideal.  Just a simple letter entry controlled by the instructor and not a grading scheme math project designed by Canvas.