Allow regrade after changing quiz question points

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Sometimes an instructor will create a quiz question and accidentally make it worth zero points. This happens most often when using an exam-creation tool like ExamView or Respondus. It's an easy error to make.

When the instructor realizes it, it is usually after a student has taken the quiz and the score comes back unreasonably low. It's because many questions were right but worth zero points. Canvas lets the instructor change the point values after the fact, but forces a manual regrading (via speedgrader) of every question for every student who has already taken the quiz.

Why not allow a regrade of the entire quiz with the new point values?

This would also allow instructors to change point values after the fact (make a question worth less and another worth more) based on statistical data on how students performed on certain questions.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
30 Comments
jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Another great idea... one that we can definitely include in a future update to quizzes! This is not something we will be able to actively explore in the next six months; however, the request is not un-heard. As we being to explore significant updates to the quizzes engine as a whole, we will look at this as a feature enhancement.

More to come!

Jason

tperry37
Community Novice

This would be so helpful.  I didn't realize until the end of the semester, that every question on every quiz was assigned the wrong point value.  I had to manually change every question, then manually force a regrade of every question, then manually update the scores.  It took forever!  I wasn't able to find a better way of doing this and it sounds like, there's not one yet.

cgottlieb
Community Member

Please add the regrade option for the entire quiz with one click and not only having to regrade each question individually!!!

todds1
Community Novice

I completely agree with Clifford. I don't really understand why people are asking to be able to regrade particular types of questions. It must be Canvas's design of quizzes that makes individual types of questions different. I don't understand why each student's answers cannot be compared to a current set of answers, and voila a new grade. Why only consider regrading particular types of questions?

cohenf
Community Participant

Consider this an upvote for having regrade apply to point changes. I accidentally made a question 1 point instead of 2 points and, so, I saw the denominator change but not the numerator change for the students that took it. Thought I'd have to manually change the scores, but your customer support (24/7 chat) gave me a way, I guess a workaround, to have it regrade automatically. Strangely, the workaround is not in the Canvas guide on "Regrade." The support person, who served me very well, told me that if I change the "correct" responses and then change them back it would automatically regrade with the new point total and, presto, it worked!

maellis1
Community Novice

Sometimes we just have to make a change to be fair, even to throw out a question or give everyone full credit for the question.  We really need to be able to regrade the whole class and not have to do it one by one.  If we have 300 students and 40 assignments, we will likely have to do this 2 or 3 times for all 300.

maellis1
Community Novice

I agree.  This needs to be fixed.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

laura_e_bartley
Community Novice

Yes.  Please fix this.  It is very easy to get the points for a question wrong, especially for matching.  I don't see why it is hard to simply trigger a regrade for an entire quiz!!!!!

wbahn
Community Novice

This definitely needs to be fixed -- and the issue is more than just being able to do it. To illustrate, let me explain what I just went through and what I should have been able to do.

I had a 25 question quiz at 1 pt per question (the default). After some people had taken it, I discovered that there's no way to have the Grade Center weight each quiz equally regardless of point total, so I went back in and changed the points on each question to 4 pts. To get it to regrade, for each question individually, I had to edit the question, change the points, reselect the correct answer (to bring up the Regrading Options dialog), choose the option, and save the question. Depending on scrolling, that's six to eight mouse clicks per question -- or nearly 200 mouse clicks for the quiz.

THEN, I had to go over to SpeedGrader (something that wasn't mentioned in the guides!) and bring up each a page for each student that had taken the quiz and scroll to the bottom and Update their score. What if this had been a course with several hundred students? Not exactly a scalable process!

On top of that, there was one question that I didn't do the magic reselect of the correct option on, so while the total score of the quiz changed to 100, many students had scores that weren't divisible by four because that question didn't get regraded -- and since the Quiz interface gives you no hint as to which questions are slated for regarding and which aren't, the ONLY way I had of knowing that was by happening to spot that a particular score wasn't possible, which is something that often won't be the case.

So what SHOULD I have been able to do?

1) Use an option in the quiz authoring tool to set the total points for the quiz to 100 evenly distributed or, failing that choice, to set all of the questions equal to a specific value. 

2) Go to the Grade Center and choose the quiz and make a single selection to regrade the quiz for everyone that had already taken it.

Perhaps a half dozen mouse clicks that scale with both the size of the quiz and the size of the course.