cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow saving grades and comments at same time in Gradebook

Allow saving grades and comments at same time in Gradebook

Idea open for vote Wed. December 2, 2015 - Wed. March 2, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I got this report from an instructor today, "When I am in "Grades" view, and am adding grades and comments for assignments: if I write a comment and then click "update grade", the comment is not submitted and only the grade is submitted. If I click "add comment", the comment is submitted but not the grade. It would be great if both were submitted at same time." This happens when clicking the Comment balloon in the Grades tool. It's odd to present a place to enter both grades and comments, but only one can be saved. It also closes the window after saving. This is really counter-intuitive.

Similar to an archived idea, Link update grade and add comment in gradebook

8 Comments
Community Coach
Community Coach

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. December 2, 2015 - Wed. March 2, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

Community Member

Yes, I do actually know about this, but I constantly forget that both will not be saved. It really adds to the workload.

Community Member

This should be considered a bug and just be fixed instead of relying on this arcane voting procedure.  It's hard to believe that if it doesn't meet the arbitrary 100 vote threshold, it will remain unchanged for the foreseeable future.

Learner II

I agree, but having those conversations with Instructure gives me a headache.

Surveyor

I agree that this is a bug.  A situation where data entered by the user is silently discarded is either a bug in the software, the design or the documentation.

Community Coach
Community Coach

173458_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

Community Member

The same idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7954-update-grade-comment-at-same-time-in-gradebook , is at 94 votes.  For those of us who voted this up here but haven't seen the one with more traction, go vote and let's get this in their radar.

Community Team
Community Team

ezaurova@stanford.edu

The same applies here as what I commented on another grouping of ideas.

Ms. Elena Zaurova‌
Most the time we're able to keep duplicates at bay, but in this case the duplicates are out on the surface on purpose. They're related to Priority: Gradebook Enhancements‌, and have been tagged as such. If Jive (community software) allowed a way to merge ideas, we would have done so. However this is not possible, and a 1+1 of votes is not accurate either - as there are some individuals that have voted on each of these.

So these will remain open until they progress through the priority!