Allow scientific notation (E format) in numerical answers

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
Often students work with very large or small numbers, and need to enter numerical values such as "3.27E15" or "9.2E-6".  Canvas should allow this format in answers to numerical questions; it's so widely used in engineering and programming.
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the

Canvas Release Notes (2019-06-01)

Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-31)

33 Comments
ashaukat
Community Novice

I am a physics professor, and I think it's an absolute must feature to have. 

vkg
Community Contributor

We are hearing from our faculty at Michigan that they need more options to ask numerical questions, including numerical answers that are either very large or very small.

Actually, I think students can answer 3.27E15 to a question (try it in quiz preview -- when you tab out of the field it'll resolve to 3270000000000000.0000) -- but not 9.2E-6 (because it'll resolve to 0.0000).  At a minimum we'd like more decimal places (perhaps 23 each side).

And also support for *instructors* to use the E notation (right now in my experience they have to type all the digits in creating the quiz -- only students can use E).

mdjohnston
Community Novice

Canvas really needs to get their act together!

Sent from my iPad

Milt Johnston

petern
Community Contributor

I'd like to see scientific notation in Canvas too.  I've created a feature request for unit support :

petern
Community Contributor

I think this is essential and accidentially created a feature request very similar.  The only difference being that students at schools (at least in the UK), do not use the E notation.  Instead they would write x1023.  Here's my feature request in full:

There should be an option that teachers can turn on to allow students to input answers in standard form.  There could be two input fields: one for the number and the second for the exponent, e.g..

114455_answer in standard form.pnganswer in standard form.png

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This Feature Idea is now Complete!

For more information on the release of this feature, and others, please review the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-31)

ROI.png

Thank you to  @mhurwitz   for submitting .  Also, Thanks to  petern and  @ervanhor   for your submissions of and which were completed as part of this feature.

Additional thanks to idea contributors mdjohnston,  @jazemlya ,  @curtain ,  @kona ,  @douglas_deboer ,  @vkg , ashaukat and  @James  for your valuable input! Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

petern
Community Contributor

Thanks Renee. Can this feature be extended to the formula question type also?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

I'm not sure how much additional work that would take, but I will check.

I do know that the quiz tool is currently being examined and scoped for improvements.  This extension may be on that list.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello Peter,

We're looking at a more "proper" way to handle large and small numbers in Canvas.  This is certainly a part of our thinking.  While I don't have a timeline, this is something we are wanting to consider for future development.

Kind regards,

Jason

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for the exciting news Jason.

Community members can follow the larger project at Modern Quizzing Engine