Allow selection of more than one set of pronouns

0 Likes
(36)

What it says in the title— allow users to select more than one set of pronouns.

43 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

softgoose
Community Novice

He/Him, She/Her, and They/Them are by no means the only pronouns options - especially considering there are lots of people who use multiple pronouns. It would be great to not only have these options, but allow users to specify their own pronouns.

For example, my pronouns are "they/she". This would be a simple, but important step towards trans inclusion in education spaces.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

jgrove0101
Community Member

I want more pronoun options in the profile settings. I use she/they, but I can only select she/her or they/them. It would be helpful if we had the option to mix-and-match the options already in Canvas, or to type in our own.

mgmacs
Community Member

Would love this! I use both she/her and they/them pronouns, and it allows for people who don't have a preference on which are used for them to be able to not have to pick between them, and encourage other students to place theirs in their names by having theirs up there! 

Ceci
Community Novice

I would love this addition! A lot of students use multiple pronouns and this would really promote inclusivity.

hailey15
Community Novice

So many people use multiple pronouns! I use she/they, and I'd really like to see that reflected on my Canvas profile!! This would be a great step for Canvas to take toward inclusivity.

HS12
Community Novice

It would be great if a person was able to select more than one pronoun in their profile. I use they and she pronouns, but that isn't an option. 

Kalli
Community Member

I agree. I use they/she pronouns, and am so bothered by the idea of choosing one that I change my settings every few days. Having the option to use multiple pronouns would be very nice...

awttech
Community Novice

I just noticed that there is the pronoun option within Canvas. I excitedly went to change my pronouns but noticed that "She/They" was an option. The option to have more than one type of pronoun should be added.

simontmj
Community Novice

Completely agree! My school has options for she/they and he/they, but my pronouns are she/he. It's frustrating to see that they're clearly trying to be more inclusive, but overlooking other options like mine. Even an "other" option could be helpful, especially for neopronouns. 

S-Cahill
Community Member

It would be helpful to allow users to specify their own pronouns in the configuration they prefer, or add options that also include ze/zir. It is important that Canvas has this feature, and it would be nice to make it even more inclusive. 

KTorres2
Community Novice

My students have requested more pronoun options please!

CarolynCardwell
Community Participant

I would like to add my institution's support for allowing users to add/specify their own pronouns instead of having to choose from a list.  Having to include every possible option in a list is almost impossible.  Letting users add their own pronouns would make this easier and more humane for everyone.

mlstowers1s
Community Member

I see a lot of other people have mentioned pronouns as well, so I'll make this short. As someone who uses neopronouns not listed in your options (ze/zer/zem), it can be frustrating to not be able to add them in. I would like to request that instead of a dropdown menu, you instead implement a textbox for us to add in our pronouns as we please. This way, none of us are being misgendered (ideally), and we are able to customize our preferences. This would be especially good for people who use multiple pronouns or would prefer if people asked. It also wouldn't affect on those who don't use the pronoun feature, since it's not a required feature to use!

Sincerely, a student who appreciates the progressiveness, but would like to be gendered correctly.

🙂

veritas05
Community Member

I would echo the calls for an open option on pronouns, or at least an open option in tandem with the select choices. Our faculty and students at my school will feel very strongly about this as we think about diversity and equity issues. Thanks.

nwilson7
Community Champion

For those mentioning adding more pronoun options, you may want to reach out to your Canvas admin.  The admin decides which ones are currently available and can put in whatever options you request (it is field they enter options, not a place they have to choose from a list). As for an open field where users could type in whatever they want, that is a separate idea.  Just wanted to point that out as more options could be fixed immediately.  

I recently had a student inform me of the he/they, she/they pronoun so I added it that day.

-Nick

verofern
Community Novice

I agree, please add this option!!

SarahKrainin
Community Member

Faculty member here.

Please offer customizable (write-in) pronouns. It is further alienating for many community members when they see there are options for pronouns-- but not the ones they actually use! 

Please and thank you!

willcurth
Community Member

I love that Canvas allows us to choose our pronouns, and the current options all strive for a wide range of inclusivity. I would love to see a more flexible system of pronoun selection for Canvas. For example, if someone wants to put their pronouns as he/she or she/he/they, they would be unable to do so currently. I would like to be able to select multiple sets of pronouns, even if it is just with the current options of he,she,they, and zir. I feel this would increase inclusivity and normalize these pronoun selections. Thank you for your consideration!!