cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow selection of more than one set of pronouns

Allow selection of more than one set of pronouns

0 Kudos
(20)

What it says in the title— allow users to select more than one set of pronouns.

16 Comments
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open for Conversation

mgmacs
Community Member

Would love this! I use both she/her and they/them pronouns, and it allows for people who don't have a preference on which are used for them to be able to not have to pick between them, and encourage other students to place theirs in their names by having theirs up there! 

Ceci
Community Member

I would love this addition! A lot of students use multiple pronouns and this would really promote inclusivity.

hailey15
Community Member

So many people use multiple pronouns! I use she/they, and I'd really like to see that reflected on my Canvas profile!! This would be a great step for Canvas to take toward inclusivity.

HS12
Community Member

It would be great if a person was able to select more than one pronoun in their profile. I use they and she pronouns, but that isn't an option. 

Kalli
Community Member

I agree. I use they/she pronouns, and am so bothered by the idea of choosing one that I change my settings every few days. Having the option to use multiple pronouns would be very nice...

awttech
Community Member

I just noticed that there is the pronoun option within Canvas. I excitedly went to change my pronouns but noticed that "She/They" was an option. The option to have more than one type of pronoun should be added.

simontmj
Community Member

Completely agree! My school has options for she/they and he/they, but my pronouns are she/he. It's frustrating to see that they're clearly trying to be more inclusive, but overlooking other options like mine. Even an "other" option could be helpful, especially for neopronouns. 

KTorres2
Community Member

My students have requested more pronoun options please!

SarahKrainin
Community Member

Faculty member here.

Please offer customizable (write-in) pronouns. It is further alienating for many community members when they see there are options for pronouns-- but not the ones they actually use! 

Please and thank you!

willcurth
Community Member

I love that Canvas allows us to choose our pronouns, and the current options all strive for a wide range of inclusivity. I would love to see a more flexible system of pronoun selection for Canvas. For example, if someone wants to put their pronouns as he/she or she/he/they, they would be unable to do so currently. I would like to be able to select multiple sets of pronouns, even if it is just with the current options of he,she,they, and zir. I feel this would increase inclusivity and normalize these pronoun selections. Thank you for your consideration!!

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

Agreed, the more options the better. Some people may choose to identify with more than one pronoun. 

StacyMorris
Community Member

Agreed - more and multiple options please (including write-ins).

LillyPittman
Community Member

Yes. We need more options, and please include write-ins.

mpfaff1
Community Participant

Please add multiples and write-ins. I've gotten requests for She/They He/They and She/He/They, all of which are (in my experience) incredibly common in inclusive Gen Z social media spaces. Adding every single combination is long (He/They, They/He, She/He/They, They/She/He etc.) as an institution we don't want to seem like we're "endorsing" certain pronouns over others when we're not.

EmberGrimstad
Community Member

I totally agree! Is there a way we can push for this to happen?