Allow students to View Feedback from the Grades page

(2)
I write lots of comments in the text of my students' essays using Speedgrader, but my students can't access these in-text comments from the Grades page. All they can see are the end comments. To see their in-text comments, they have to go to the assignment, then click on Submission Details, then click on View Feedback. It's no wonder many of my students are never reading my carefully crafted comments. Why can't there be a way for students to click View Feedback directly from the Grades page?
27 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

thayerm
Community Novice

So many students MISS important information from faculty because the View Feedback link is so small and not intuitive. Please add here based off of this request but also, make it clearer in other places as well. Add a link to annotations to the Recent Feedback area and other that students see often, and make the View Feedback easier to identify. Students should not have to hunt for feedback. 

paxtona_deremer
Community Novice

It would help students greatly if, within this new assignments students had an option to send an e-mail to their teacher or Parent/Guardian. This would allow them to ask questions or give information through a format that teachers check more often. It is very nice to be able to go into canvas and see comments and questions that are not time sensitive, but sometimes students do need to get their teachers or Parents/Guardians attention a little quicker and adding that option would reach someone like me a little quicker and allow me to aid them in the moment from home. 

tgodkin
Community Novice

YESSSS!!!!  It's so hard for students to find the feedback that I leave them.  I actually make a "view feedback" assignment in which they need to submit a screenshot of the feedback I leave them, just to show me they can do it (at least once...)

martha_phelps
Community Explorer

A student just asked me how to find the feedback I left. I am googling to find out. It should not be this hard.

clarkbra
Community Participant

On speed grader, I often write comments to the students.   On regular assignments, the students can click on the assignment and see the comments on the right or bottom of the page, right along with submission details and their score.     I often use "quizzes" for regular assignments for auto-grading purposes.   But when a student asked me, "What comment?"  this week we discovered that the students weren't seeing the comments I had written to them.  It took us 3-5 minutes to figure out that they had click grades and then click the speech bubble next to the assignment name to see the comments I had written them.   I know you can write comments on each individual question, but it often is not my preference.  I like using the comments section on the right on speed grader.   But I had no idea that it was so convoluted for the students to actually find those comments.   Can you add teacher comments on the quiz results page that the students see?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!